1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone stack drives with their Rusty Box?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PunkRocker33133, Aug 22, 2018.

1. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    I’m mostly curious about how it handles large amounts of gain/compression. I use an HM-2 and a BiFet clone into a Sansamp currently but I’ve always been interested in the Rusty Box for the clank.

2. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I've stacked drives into my Boxidizer (guitar version of Rusty Box). It plays better with some than with others, but in general, it works fine. It holds together, for the most part, whatever you put into it, but some fuzzes and distortions (DOD Carcosa, VFE RAT clone) sounded weirdly anaemic going into the Rusty Box.

3. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I use mine with a GK 800 something class D line out after the Alesus micro Limiter into the power amp, it's like hot-rod-ing your amp, for when I need to cut more. IN my effects chain it did act as a mild scoop and made some dirt too bright. I prefer it above velcro-ed to the rat fir cab.

For stacking I'll do overdrive into fuzz with a blend into cab sim. Mini into el Osso into MXR deluxfuzz or take out one, or on my simple board, Vox tube pre into TAFM into Orange Juice (or take out one) or even Pharaoh into TAFM...into Superego for that grindy cello sound everyone likes.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  4. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    Rat (or variant) into RB is the bomb.

5. All the time. Sounds glorious .

cataract likes this.
  6. jw23mind

jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    I've experimented with many combinations with the Rusty, distortions and fuzzes stacked before and after. I have found that I mostly don't care for what the Rusty does to already distorted signal: noisy, harsh, and "weirdly anaemic" like J-Mags said. I LOVE the Rusty by itself OR with it driving other distortion/fuzzes. Rusty into Green Russian muff is a great metal sound, for example, IMO.

SunnBass likes this.
  7. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    I'm with @jw23mind on this one.
    I love my Rusty Box, but have always been very disappointed how it handles being fed other dirt.

vlad_drac and jw23mind like this.
  8. vlad_drac

vlad_drac Supporting Member

May 3, 2017
    Jersey
    And on that note, I couldn't be happier feeding dirt into my Rusty Box! However, I have another, more flexible preamp/cab sim after it.

9. toblerone24

toblerone24

Jan 10, 2014
    Me too. I run a Shift Line Buzz and a Fuzzrocious Grey Stache into it. What sort of drives are you guys stacking with the RB?

10. stefanb

stefanb Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2017
    Toronto
    Mine is at the end of my chain the gets a VT and an ODB fed into it - wondering if I should reverse it and have it first then have the dirt after it?

11. jw23mind

jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    I would go: RB>ODB>VT. I liked the VT for it's cleans and EQ, which makes it appropriate to follow both the RB & ODB for post-eq (the RB eq is pre-clipping). VT always on, with the RB and/or ODB selected for varieties of dirt.

stefanb likes this.
  12. stefanb

Sep 14, 2017
    Toronto
    Interesting - you ran the VT always on instead of the RB? I run the RB always on then select ODB or VT based on what gain stage I am using...

cataract likes this.
  13. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    Yeah I'd use the VT last too since it has the built in speaker sim. Tames anything going into it.

14. stefanb

Sep 14, 2017
    Toronto
    Wait a second...VT = Volt Thrower....not Tech 21 VT....That's why the always-on comment confused me haha

jw23mind likes this.
  15. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    Oh Haha. Oops, sorry.

stefanb likes this.
  16. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    As a former owner of a Volt Thrower & ODB, gotta say that I had great results running either of the two last in my chain. The ODB easily copped an overdriven tubey SVT tone.. (need to buy one again!)
    With that being said- I came to realize that the Rusty Box is still my go-to always on tone, and I always keep it EQ’d to taste & last in line, treating it like a literal preamp instead of a pedal.

stefanb and jpTron like this.
  17. stefanb

Sep 14, 2017
    Toronto
    That was my thinking - all OD gets shaped into it's EQ then back out to the amp, instead of the other way around.

What were you dial settings on your ODB??

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    cataract likes this.
  18. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I honestly can’t recall the exact settings I had dialed in with the ODB. It was hard to get a bad tone out of it though!
    Definitely check out the Dunwich Amplification appreciation thread for settings- I may have posted mine in there as well.

19. jw23mind

jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Ah that changes everything!

In fairness, I've never really experienced ODB, but I can say for sure I preferred other distortions like muffs to follow the Rusty, as otherwise the Rusty tended to kill the fatness of a muff and over-accentuate the highs from the distortion. Whereas the muff following the RB would "translate" the basic sound of the Rusty whilst adding fatness.

20. stefanb

Sep 14, 2017
    Toronto
    Gotcha - I will try running the RB first then into the two separate gain stages. Now that we're talking about it, makes sense to shape the tone first, then send it into distortion stages, instead of feeding the dry sound from guitar -> distortion -> tone shaping