Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone stick rubber parts on the end of their endpens?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Libersolis, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I hate trying to put the end of my endpin into that little disc.. is there a good alternative.. sometimes I see guys with rubber pieces at the end of them...are these made for bass or just hardware pieces from other places?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yes.
    My Kay didn't have a rubber tip, I used to buy crutch tips from a pharmacy and either use epoxy or rubber cement to attach'em to the bottom.

MANY endpins come with removable rubber tips. My Gotz, the tip screws on and off over the spike end. Almost all endpin manufacturers have some version of that approach.

3. You can buy the rubber pieces from places like Lemur.
    http://shop1.mailordercentral.com/lemurmusic/prodinfo.asp?number=A1261

Or you can use a rubber "foot" from a hardware store, as I'm using with my Kay.

For what it's worth, I think there's nothing prettier sounding than a DB with an endpin spiked into a wooden (pref. hollow) stage. Unamplified, of course! (Wish I was in this situation more often.)

4. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    I've bought chemical flasks' rubber stoppers, and have drilled them a bit for the endpin to enter; the result is great. For years I've used this solution. (See here ).

A week ago a bought a Wolf Super Ball, since I'm currently using a curved endpin. It's quite nice.

Cheers,

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've used crutch tips for years. I much prefer them to the slightly cheaper table leg caps you can buy because they are reinforced with metal so they last for years whereas the the table leg caps wear out in only a few months.

Just make sure you take off the crutch tip before doing your orchestral gigs :D

6. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    Nice tip your crutch tip. Look at this one. It seems fine.

7. I have a nice endpin that for whatever reason came with a hard crappy rubber tip. I went to the drug store and found the biggest, softest rubber walker tip I could get to put on it. Then, I took my Dremel tool and ground the original tip to just the right size with a bit of a taper, lubed it up with a bit of soapy water and worked it inside the new tip. That was seven years ago, and it still works great. Of course, whever I can I unscrew it and jab my nice sharp tip into the floor... :bassist:

8. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    I have found that crutch tips (that I have been using for 15 years) dampen the sound of the bass. Take one off and play with the spike and you will see what I mean. But check out the stopper from KCStrings. It is mushroom shaped and harder then crutch tips but it sticks even if you sit and have an angle to your bass.
    Good luck.

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Always, after I took a 2 hour safe sex course.

10. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I was waiting for that

11. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    My Wolf Super-End-Pin Ball thingie fell off yesterday and I lost it. The screws on that thing have a tendency to loosen from vibration and causes the it fall off from time to time. I guess this time it popped off and I didn't notice it.

So I had my own little epiphany when I saw it missing. The hiking Leki hiking poles that I use for backpacking had rubber tips similar to crutch tips tho I believe the shafts are much smaller at the end. My end pin still has a little nut to keep stop it from being pushed all the way into the body. The tips on these hiking poles have been worn a bit from 2 seasons of hiking and backpacking on granite in the Sierras. So grabbing a worn out Leki tip, I found a small rubber washer in my bin of junk, shoved it at the bottom of the tip and stuck it on for a little extra protection. The end-pin washer was large enough to keep alot of tension on the tip so I didn't have to use any glue to keep it on. The tip is fluted so it looks great.

The tips aren't that expensive (2 for $8.99) And since the Leki rubber tip has held my weight + backpack on glacier-polished granite, I doubt if I'll have any problems with it hanging on to smooth surfaces. :D Since the tips are worn from use for hiking, they needed to be replace. This way I can recycle old tips and use them on my bass. I'll have more as soon as the next set of rubber tips wear out.

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have to throw in 2 cents for the KC Strings endpin tip. It is definitely industrial strength. I have had them on two basses with super results.

13. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
  14. jstiel

jstiel Jim Stiel

Jun 5, 2004
    Lake Orion, MI
    I second that. Work's fine for me.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I got a big giant endpin tip from Upton that looks like a crutch tip that has worked well for me. I bought it because I play some concrete stages and needed something that would take it. This one definitely takes it. Doesn't affect the sound, either.

16. speedster

speedster

Aug 19, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Okay don't laugh but I use a small running shoe, actually used my son's nike from his infancy years. Wife spent $75 on them at the time and that teed me off but then I got to use them on the bass.

Finally wore both out and had to beg a neighbor for infant funning shoe.

Stick the end pin in the shoe, tie up the laces and fill the shoe with a tube of silicone caulking.

Works perfect and the comments and looks are well worth having it on there. No sliding around of the bass and no marks on the hardwood floors.

17. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I love it! PHOTO, please.

I'll have to check my grandson's closet. ;)

18. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Until it falls off and you lose it of course. :rolleyes:

I suggest you use loc-tite on summa dem screws.

19. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

White tips don't leave marks on the floor...
    My $0.02

20. hotchkiss

hotchkiss

Jun 6, 2004
    Boston
    I have one on my son's bass. I tie a string to the endpin screw and around the larger screw on the ball - it still falls off, but at least you don't lose it. Otherwise it works well.