1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone suffer from ingrown toe nails?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    So ive got one on my big toe and its getting really bad. Its all red and swolen and infected and starting to puss. Ugh, this thing hurts like crazy. Anyone have any home remedies?

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Yeah, So, if you go to dr they can kill the side that you get ingrown nail from... However, they did it 5 times on me and I still get em. I just deal with it... when it starts to cut into skin i just take pliers and pull it out and yank it out... Not the whole nail, just the part that grows into my skin, after the operation it's separate from my toe. It hurts for a while and bleeds and goes after for few months...

You can also cut your toe on side after the do the operation, but what's the fun in that... My friend does that, when he cuts his nails, he also trims the part that goes into the skin...

Go see a doctor and they will fix it...

3. Yeah. Home remedy #1: pick up phone and dial number of podiatrist.

Sure, you could do what I did once and buy cuticle snips and bite your lip and dig in and pry the nail past the bulbous infected skin growing over the nail, but it hurts like the dickens and doesn't relieve the problem.

So yeah. Phone, dial doctor. get appointment for him to freeze your toe and cut away a whole bunch of nail. Prepare for it to hurt because he is ripping the nail away from the nailbed. BUT, eventually it willgrow back. Then you have to learn how to cut your nails corrrectly.

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Pliers work better...

5. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    My dad taught me how to cut them out. You could probably deal with it yourself if it isn't too bad. If it is, yeah... podiatrist.

6. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Man, you've had ingrown toe nails 5+ times and the Doctor's haven't permanently removed the nail?

I've had ingrown toe nails on both my big toes 2 times when I was young (well, I'm still young, so younger.) The second time I went to the Doctor to get it fixed he said it was best to permanently remove the nails or else I'd always end up with ingrown toe nails.

Kinda sucks not having any nails on my big toes but at least I don't have to go through all the crap with ingrown toe nails now. I never wore sandals anyways so it's all good.

It doesn't look too weird either. My big toes don't look like big nubs of skin. There's still the indent/imprint/whatever of where the nail used to be.

7. Wait a minute... so they removed the nail on both big toes, and also cauterized the whole toe to prevent any nail regrowth?

That just seems strange to me. When I get my procedures done, the podiatrist removes the embedded part, and then only cauterizes where the nail was ingrown to prevent any growth there.

I guess it doesn't matter so much if you don't miss the big toe nail, but I had never heard of the whole nail being cauterized.

8. since i've been a member on TB, i've seen maybe 3 threads on this topic, and I typically avoid them like the plague because they gross me out, having suffered till my mid-20s with this wretched affliction. by now - both big toenails medically clipped on both sides, to the wick. I even had a problem way back in boot camp. ugh.

but wick clipping was a decision i've never regretted, though it was traumatic at the time, and it didn't make me a barefoot freak either. even if it did, like it did with my brother (grins) it's still worth it. otherwise, beyond that, keep nails clipped evenly. trouble always starts when the nail doesn't end in a relatively straight edge that the skin folds can support. what shape of nail edge prevents cutting into tissue? that's always the question....

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    No, I had it removed 5 times, they did the whole thing where it shouldn't grow back but every time it does... It gets into my skin about 1s every 2 months... So i just pull the peace that gets into the skin with pliers and rip it out. :D

I might try doing the whole operation again, but don't feel like it. :)

10. damn, i had it 5 times also, twice on the big left toe and 3 times on the right big toe, and the last time i had it, it was ingrown on both sides of the nail so they had to remove the entire freaken nail....UGH!!!

but no i have no home rememedied, just let the doctors do what they have to, i havent had one in about 8 years god bless lol

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I used to get bad ones on my big toes when I was younger. Both of them started when I jammed my toenail real bad. Once they got ingrown one time, they kept coming back.:crying:

I still have minor ones on my second toes on both feet, but they don't get infected or hurt too bad.

I never went to a doctor, although I almost did over my right big toe, it was swelled up as big as a lemon.

Here is what I did to get them under control. First, until the toe healed up, I clipped the part that was digging in to the toe all the way to the nail bed. Then, once they healed up, I tried a few of preventive tips that my Dad gave me.

First, don't trim the nails super short. Make sure that the outer edges are at least 0.5 mm longer than the 'flap' of skin on each side of the toenail.

Second, cut the nail straight across, or as straight as possible. DON'T ROUND IT OFF!

Third, cut a V or a wedge out right in the middle of the nail. This gives the toenail a little 'give' where it won't dig into the sides of your toe.

Fourth, wear well fitting shoes. Shoes that are too tight put pressure on your toes and toenails, and are much less forgiving if you stub your toe. Don't wear socks that are too tight either. And since you have to keep the nails a little long, you need to trim them very often, like once a week or every ten days. If they get too long, you run the risk of jamming them if you stub your toe.

My Dad was also plagued with ingrown toenails on his big and second toes, and started doing all of this after his third trip to a podiatrist for ingrown toenails. After he started doing these things, he never had a bad recurrence again. All of this advice was given to him by his podiatrist.

That has also been my experience. These preventative measures have kept me ingrown toenail free for over 20 years.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

What luck have you guys had of pulling them out at home ?

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I guess I'm lucky not to suffer from them!

14. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Thankfully, no. I've had a mild case a few times and that was bad enough.

I always clip the big nail square across and leave it a little long like embellisher said. I learned that from the Boy Scout Manual. ;)