Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Surine?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by michele, Aug 20, 2004.

1. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Anyone out there have a Surine bass in his arsenal? Scott Surine seems to know well the art of making good (and not so pricey) boutique basses but it seems they're not so popular ...

2. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I think Brad Johnson had one of these, didn't he?

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep, Brad had a Surine Protocol 7 for a while. Picked it up for nothing at Guitar Center, and I'm sure made a tidy profit on it when he sold it.

4. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    Bump!

I too would like to hear from some Surine owners.

5. I'm currently enjoying my 3rd Surine bass. I have a '94 Affinity fretless 4, used to own a '96 Affinity fretted 5, and recently acquired a 5 string fretted quest. I sold the affinity 5 because the 16.5mm string spacing that I specified on that bass became unplayable for me after becoming accustomed to 19mm spacing. My quest 5 has 19 mm spacing. Surine builds an excellent bass, especially if you play fretless. The tone from all 3 of those basses is very warm and modern sounding. Unless otherwise specified, the basses are made with mahogony body core, maple/purpleheart neck, neck-through construction, bartolini soapbar pickups & active preamp, etc. check out http://www.surinebasses.com

I wouldn't say that they are not popular, just not well known.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    One of the more ridiculous deals I've found. Got this at Guitar Center for $1,000. Parlayed that into a singlecut Elrick fretless 5 for $400;)

Excellent bass, one more string than I really cared for. And so petite... slightly narrower than my B100-R 1-15 combo:D
    I like wide spacing and I liked this bass.

[​IMG]

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Surine bodies do look VERY wide-does it hinder their playability or add a lot of weight?

8. yeah, thats what i am wondering too,
    btw my favorite is the homage....also, is that jauqo III-X in the pic?

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    $2895 ~ $5895

That counts as pretty expensive in my book

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    They're definitely not inexpensive (new;)).

BTW there's one on eBay.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Not really. While the body is wide it's also thin. I thought it was very easy to play. 19mm spacing.

[​IMG]

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Scott Surine and Scott Loftquest make a very nice sounding Bass.all the ones I played(and I've had my share) not only sounded nice but played very well.very minimal set up needed to get what you want from them.and they Record very well.
    the Surines balance very well and I have yet to play one that I thought was heavy(which is always a concern of mine).the Surine Basses seem to have a vibe all their own.

And yes that is me playing my very first Sub contra Bass(the Homage Series is my own desighn in colaboration with Scott Surine)

13. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...they've always struck me as an "obese" Ken Smith...

~S~

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    They do have a "Funhouse Smith" kind of vibe:D

I like them.

15. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...love to try one, along with a Brubaker, one day...

~S~

PS: I love Smiths

16. In regards to the wide bodies, Scott will make the bass to your specifications. I specified my Quest 5 with a body that is 1" narrower than standard.

17. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    I live in Denver and have hung out with Scott Surine and had Scott Lofquist do some work for me, have been to the very basement Surines are made in- watched a neck getting glued up, it was interesting. They're good basses for the money, honestly $2600 or so can get you a pretty great axe. I thought of having them make a fretless for me with a piece of crotch walnut scott had but i opted to spend nearly twice as much for a Ken Smith black tiger i just got last month; when i tried out Scott's surines next to my other KS there wasn't any comparison in tone. I also could detect the little inconcistensies of the basses in the laminates glues and carving that don't compare to the perfection of some larger high end bass manufacturers. Still i would recommend Surines to someonw who can't afford a comprable neck through multilaminate bass from a bigger name.