Anyone switching between 2 preamps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mgmadian, Jun 25, 2003.

1. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm very happy with my current rig (Kern pre + QSC power amp) overall. I'm thinking about adding another (solid-state) pre-amp for occasional use, mainly to add a different flavor (there are times when I prefer the sound of my fretless through a solid-state pre).

Anyone out there switch between 2 different pre-amps, both going into the same power amp? Ideally, I'd like to be able to do so using a simple footswtich (customized Loooper?), and have both the bass and the effects switch over.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well the easiest thing to do would be to have an a/b box after the preamp out and before the power amp inputs
    then you'd have to manually splug in and out of the front of your preamps and switch the a/b box at the same time
    ok, so the easiest thing to do would be to manually plug both the inputs and outputs, but hey................
    of course you could use a/b boxes before and after the preamps
    then if you wanted effects to transfdr over they would all have to be before the preamp inputs
    etc, etc, etc
    or you could get some wild mixer that could mix and match between all the preamps and bus effects from where-ever and cost you a million bucks and probably degrade your tone.............
    should i go on?
    good luck, i do it sometimes and it is worth it
  3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002