1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone Taking Zanax/Alcohol?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blake Bass, May 29, 2007.

1. My Doc prescribed Zanax for an acid reflux related problem. I noticed that the bottle says "do not use alcohol while taking this medication". I'm wondering if anyone else out there is taking this and do you occasionally have a few drinks? Have you had any adverse reaction after consuming 3 or 4 beers?
    I want to cure my reflux problems but I don't want to quit drinking beer.

2. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    My husband was on Xanax and alcohol when he went nuts and tried to kill me.

So my advice would be...no.

I've never heard of Xanax for acid reflux. Most people take prevacid or prilosec or nexium.

3. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Zanax for acid relflux?!!?!?!?!?!

Can I get the name of your doctor? I have a pimple and am hoping to get some Percaden for it :D :D :D :D

4. I lost my best friend to Xanax, pain killers and Alchohol about a year ago. He never had a problem until they put him on Xanax. I would stay away from it!!!

5. disenchant

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    Yes, Xanax can be addictive. And the thing about it is low doses may calm you and make you feel kind of drunk. BUT if you either mix it with alcohol or increase the dose it can have the opposite effect and make you hostile and even violent. Everyone reacts differently to it.

It used to calm my Ex. He would just fall asleep on the couch. But he started having to take more and more to get the calming effect and then he started mixing it with alcohol and it made him not recognize who I was and it made him violent.

You don't really know what it will do to you. Maybe nothing. But you don't want to be that one person that it adversely affects. Not for acid reflux. There are lots of remedies for that, natural, otc and prescription. A new remedy is orange peel that my dad is taking. PM me if you want to know more.

Put down the Xanax and back away is my advice. Because in my case, it wouldn't have been HIM that died from it.

6. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Xanax? Are you sure you don't mean ZANTAC?

Although, Xanax is also used to treat heartburn, believe it or not. Apparently one of it's side effects is heartburn reduction.

Mixing drugs together is NEVER good. If the label says don't mix with alcohol, DON'T mix with alcohol. Especially not anti-depressants like Xanax. That's just asking for trouble, IMO.

7. The booz/Xanax combination made my friend VERY hostile many times. I tried to take his keys away from him one time so he wouldn't drive. It got REAL ugly. He won, he drove :( He ended up in minor accident and got a DWI. That was the last time he was welcome at my home. His life was a downward spiral after that. :meh:

8. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    Good question, although Zantac is an over the counter med nowadays, so no script needed there.

Xanax + alcohol is a very bad combination, expecially if you are stupid enough to drive in that condition. You can lose consciousness suddenly without any warning. Lights out. Crash. Sirens. Hospital. Jail.

Don't do it.

9. Vince,

You are correct it is Zantac not Xanex, however I have learned alot about Xanex hert and know that I will stay far away from it.

So back to my original question how about Zantac and alcohool? (no I wasn't drinking when I posted this)

10. Maybe he has a nervous stomach?

chirp chirp.......chirp chirp,.......chirp chirp.

Thank you!
    I'll be here all week!

11. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Well Zantac and other H2 receptor antagonists make your stomach produce less acid. I think they also reduce your stomach's production of it's secretion lining. Alcohol is a stomach irritant and can give you ulcers if you take it with zantac.

12. disenchant

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    Hmmm, now I've mixed Zantac with alcohol and the result is...

IT BURNS! IT BURNS! IT BURNS!

Didn't do anything but make my heartburn 10X worse!

13. Thanks Vince..Looks like I'll be on the wagon for awhile.

14. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    Xani Bars and Alcohol = Crazyiness. I used to mix the two when I was in college and doing my crazy phase. It really F'&*%'s you up. Watch yourself man, that stuff is crazy addictive too. My buddy and i struggled with Xanax addictions, luckily we quit it and have been clean for over 3 years now.

Be Careful.

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Alternate days.

16. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I was on prescription strength ranitidine (same drug as Zantac but stronger than OTC Zantac 75) for a month when I first started flying as part of an anti-airsickness cocktail. The flight surgeon specifically told me not to drink as it can cause stomach bleeding.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's what caused my last band to break up, and I suspect it's what got a member fired from my current band. So go for it.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh, Zantac? That's different. It didn't get anybody fired. I used to take it, now I'm using Prilosec. Then again, I don't drink at all, so I have no useful advice for you. Just ignore this post.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 10, 2021