1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone Tber's ran a Marathon?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TheDialog, Sep 26, 2010.

1. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Just a simple question. I'm on a 16 week training course currently about to start week 2. It's going great so far and I'd love to hear about any fellow bassists that have ran one.

Thanks!

2. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    San Francisco, 1982, 83 & 84.

Wally

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I did two on roller blades in the over 40 group. One was in 90+ deg heat with high humidity. After the race I heard that Corey Stringer died at the Minnesota Vikings training camp from heatstroke that day (about 40 miles away). I made it but that was my last one.

4. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I've done 6, but they were all the tail end of an Ironman, so I can't speak much about a stand alone marathon.

What is your long run looking like? I usually take it up to 20+ miles during training. Get your base in.

When I run, I try to aim to hurt a little more for a little less time. I want to get it done.

5. In the 80's I went for a 1/2 marathon in Houston, finished the half so kept going till I hit "the wall", probably around 20 +/- miles, scared the hell out of me so I stopped, should have kept going even if I had to walk in. We moved to Cincinnati and I finished my first and last marathon there. Houston was flat Cincinnati had hills. Still have my marathon shirt, with numbers attached, in my PJ drawer, of course no way I would fit in it today, but, you would have to tear it from my dieing hands. It has a permanent spot in my PJ drawer.

Work up to 7 miles daily and go for 15 miles on the weekend.

Good luck. All runners have to finish at least one in their lifetime. One was enough for me.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    What's the best bass for running a marathon?

:bag:

7. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Precision ;) Like I play...

8. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    I'm on a 4 day a week running plan with cross-training in between. My longest runs, which occur in the 13th and 14th week of training in the 16 week course are 18 miles each. There are three 16 mile runs. I know that seems a bit to some, but this from a book I'm following of a course that was taught in college five different times and they had only one person not finish in over 200 students. Simply, because he didn't hydrate properly.

Thanks for everyone's stories!

9. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I did one in 05 (RnR in San Diego). Not really keen on doing it again. My time was 3:57

10. I've ran a bunch of them. I ran a 2:47, 2:48, and 2:49 within about 11 months of each other. Music and running go hand in hand with one another.

11. I foolishly signed up for the Philadelphia marathon in November. I haven't been training for it - I've been training, but squatting & deadlifting, while helping build explosive power, don't really help with long distance running. Plus, at 6', 230, I'm not really built as a marathoner. The longest I've ever run was 13 miles, in 2 hours.

Unless I am fully trained, I don't feel comfortable jumping into the marathon. I don't want to be in misery the last 10 miles and then not able to train for a month afterwards due to recovery.

The best piece of advice I have for distance running - HAVE FUN! I did a 10 mile race back in May. Around mile 4, I started getting blisters & had to walk. I was HATING every step of that race, and had a miserable time. Conversely, I've raced in other races, where I had a blast, and almost wanted to slow down to make it last longer. If you have a running partner, conversation makes races go super smoothly.

Best of luck in your marathon!

ian

12. I've heard you don't have to do the whole 26 miles in training, and you can usually do twice your training mileage in the race. So your max of 18 and 16 miles sounds fine.

Also be sure to pay attention to the taper at the end, you want to be rested, refreshed, and carb loaded for the race. You won't lost fitness in a couple of weeks taking it easy before the race, worst thing you can do is overdo it towards the end and not be rested for the actual event.

For what its worth, I've never run a marathon, but I've rollerbladed a few (1:48) and done longer distances at Athens to Atlanta, 87 miles, my best time was 9:33. Which sucks, by the way, the pro's do it in around 5 hours or a little under.

But I was in my early 40's, had only been rollerblading seriously for a few years, had surgery to replace a torn ACL prior to starting rollerblading seriously, and tore the other ACL just as I was about to start training for A2A, so had to recover from surgery in April to be ready to race in Oct. I did the 38 mile half distance that year, and went further to see how far I could go, didn't get past the next 2 or 3 checkpoints. Also, I was never a distance guy, always a sprinter, high hurdles, high jump, long jump in HS. I probably never ran more than 1 mile continuously while on the track team. So distance is not my forte. I was happy to finish.

My biggest problem was starting out too fast and running out of steam partway through. Take it slower than you think you need to, get in a groove, get relaxed, and pick up the pace later if you still feel good. My best time in A2A was when I held back to stay with a friend and help him finish. I was still good to go at the end, slowing down made me faster.

Important concept to grasp: Running/exercise tears your body down. Its when you rest that your body repairs the damage, and gets stronger to withstand the stress. Don't neglect the rest portion, thinking more training=better fitness. Follow your program, don't do more work thinking it will help. Sometimes you have to train to get into the shape you need to be in to train at the level you want to train at.

Randy

13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    The only Marathon i've done is a pub crawl.

14. Marathons are great, but can be hard. I've done a bunch.
    My main advice is not to skip your weekly long run, ever; to do some track work once a week even if you aren't going for speed (it'll help iron out your mechanics and you learn to control your pacing better); and be prepared for it to really suck when you hit 20 miles--at that stage, it's something of a religious experience--your body and brain will be doing their absolute best to tell you to stop, and you have to ignore that.
    Richard Benyo's "Making the Marathon Your Event" is a good book, one I found very helpful when I was starting out.

15. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Hydrate early, go out at your own pace, not of the other folks, and use body glide to prevent friction problems.

16. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    I figured I'd give a mini update.

I'm currently in week 6 and things are going extremely well. I ran my normal 4 days a week in addition to running a 5k, a 10k and being apart of a relay team for the Baltimore Marathon. My longest run to date was this past Sunday, 10 miles. It felt great.

I'm running a half marathon in a few weeks that I'm excited about and a 15k (9.3) in December. I'm also running a few 5k's on top of my training.

Jan. 9 is the big day and is vastly approaching. Can't wait.

17. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Check out the Galloway method. It absolutely worked for me. First time I tried the run/walk routine I ran twice as far as I'd ever gone in my life and felt great afterwards.

It was kind of funny because during the marathon I would pass people when running and then they'd pass me while I walked. This kept happening until around mile 20 when I noticed they were no longer passing me and I started passing new people.

And I had more than one person tell me that I was having more fun during the race than anyone else they saw.

Best of luck!

18. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Just ran the half marathon this past weekend. Felt great. 2 h 11 min.

9 weeks to Disney. We're getting there!

19. ^I did the Disney marathon and finished in about 5 hours closer to 4 45 though. It's really fun, great course.

20. TheDialog

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Sweet!