Anyone think that this is a good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bipedal, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Bipedal

Jan 24, 2006
    Fayetteville, GA
    Now, I'm not trying to get a godly guitar for 300 bucks, but it's all I have. Would one of these epiphone eb0's be a good choice you think? I just mean, is the guitar of decent quality so it won't like explode on me, and does it play a step up from nails on a chalkboard? If this is no good, then what do you suggest for under 300 bucks? I'm trying to avoid natural wood finishes, those bug me.
  2. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida SX basses < $200 and my '62 reissue jazz bass from them is really nice for the money!
  3. Bipedal

Jan 24, 2006
    Fayetteville, GA
    But from everything I've heard, it's a sin against god to buy those because they suck so hard. . . . ? Am I wrong, and would it be better to buy one of those or an epiphone? I'm leaning with epiphone since it's a subsidiary of gibson, but is that also wrong to do?
  4. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Whoever told you that is a liar. I have a Jazz bass from them, and with a new bridge and a refinished neck, I've been offered $500+ for it
  5. Bipedal, you know that the Epi EB-0 is a short-scale bass, don't you?

There's nothing wrong with short-scale basses, I'm just letting you know.

Why not go to and check out everything they have for about $300, and see if there's anything else you like. You don't have to buy from them, just get an idea.

Mike ;)
  6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

Umm..then why wouldn't you take that and buy two new ones and have enough left over to buy your ole lady a nice dinner?
  7. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Vote for the Rondo.

SX = awesomeness. I've gotten two instruments from them, an Agiile and an complaints, cept the Stingray copy ain't out yet.
  8. Bipedal

Jan 24, 2006
    Fayetteville, GA
    Okay, so wha'ts this one like? And yeah, I went thru everything on musician's friend with my price range, the only other ones I liked were notorious for killing people with their bad sound and crappy materials.
  9. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Do a search for the Essex megathread and read up on sx basses before you declare them to be complete crap. Fender MIM quality they may or may not be (big debate on that one) but they definately meet or beat most anything at the under $200 price point. (squire, carlo robelli, silvertone, ibanez and others)

I liked mine. and it was well under 200, even with a pickup swap.

As a former sx owner and a Bible school graduate, I can assure you that it would not be a "sin against God" to purchase one.;):D
  10. amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    You should get out to the local music store and try some out for yourself, maybe dean Edge, Squire, Ibanez, your preference will shurely be different than others regarding sound and feel.
  11. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I would, but something about it....I cant let her go. I worked hard on sanding down the neck, so it has a personal touch on it. And besides, the only lady in my life is Bessy, the SX Jazz bass
  12. need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Go play the basses in the store then try to find one used. I picked up an awesome condition Ibanez SR506 for $300. They sell at GC for over $600 new.
  13. SX guitar you are referring to is a great beginner guitar. It starts with a solid alder body, not plywood, like other guitars in this price range. A maple neck with rosewood fretboard and a truss rod which is adjustable! You are fortunate young man...20 years ago it was unheard of to find a bass giutar made with real wood for anywhere near that price. Now, the pickups may be the weak link here, but compared to the Squier bass you are playing now, they are probably just as good if not better. You have a P/J setup so you can get different tones. you can always swap them out when you ear is better trained, you'll know when it's time, they'll probably serve you well for a good while. For $149, you've got osmething you can work with, not a $149 guitar with a plywood body that cracks on you the first time you tighten the strap buttons!!!!
  14. If you buy a used bass your money will go much further. you could easily get a MIM fender used for around $300 or less. I saw a used Ibanez ATK (which I think is a pretty nice quality bass for $200 at a shop a while back..
  15. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'll sell you my Conklin GT7 for $300...:eek:

Just kidding!

Seriously, the SX's are fine instruments. You can get them cheap, learn setup and small repair on them as you upgrade them. In the end, you'll end up spending very little for a good instrument and some new skills...chicks dig guys with, you'll end up having friends coming over giving you money to set up their basses, or swap out their could end up recovering most, or even all, of your costs if you play your cards vote goes to the SX.
  16. SX, Peavey, Yamaha, Ibanez, Agile, and Fender are all better than an Epi. and you mentioned the Epi, Gibson connection.
    well Gibson basses are no better. imo :cool: