Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried a 2 PUP Sterling or Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doogenbomb, Feb 1, 2006.

1. doogenbomb

doogenbomb

Oct 25, 2004
    I am really interested in these and was wondering what people thought about them.

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Me too! Howcome there's no info on the Ernie Ball site?:confused:

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    yes. i have played a 2 pup ray. very nice and a Sterling is on my list. a nice range of tones from the traditional MM sound to jazz, P and others. all the MM build quality you would expect with more versatility than ever.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Alot of info @ the Ernie Ball Forum.

I have both an SR4 and SR5 on order.

5. munnkyboy

munnkyboy

Jul 1, 2005
    An Excerpt of my mini review on one of the 'ball boards"

I stopped into Guitar Center in Brooklyn on day past Christmas Monday. I should have just walked away. I was ALL SET...I mean READY to place my order for shiny new bitchin' Sterling. All Black with matching headstock and a tort guard.

'All Stop' after plugging in the ‘HH’ pickups on the "Ray" that day. I just tried it and was stunned and pleasantly surprised.

I love what I'm hearing, a Ray and then some. I pick up the Sterling just to be sure it’s not lust, and, Uh Oh...it just doesn’t sound the same to me, the tone is still there that I was in love with yesterday, but this new pick up configuration seems much bigger and much more versatile to my ears. Best of all, I can get a classic “P” sound, a little better than a “P”, a great “J” sound and of course, the Classic Ray is there, as clear and punchy as ever. This would cover all my requirements, and who can argue with that Look!

The end...

Deciding on color
    mk

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Incredible! I've got a buttercream SR5HH. It still has that great stingray sound, but the others are unique and useful as well. Position 4 especially still has a lot of punch, but not as much of that stingray Garrrr sound. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send you some sound clip (I'm working on some web hosting, but I've been busy!).

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    My butterdream will arrive next week!:hyper: