Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried a bass from Chirs Stambaugh?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JPJ, Oct 9, 2001.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm thinking of having some custom work done and have been looking at Chris' work. I'm headed down to the south side of Chicago this weekend to the LAG to try one out, but was curious as to whether anyone at the forum has had any experience with his work. Gives me all the details you gots. Thanks!

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

JPJ - Haven't tried one, but one thing about Chris I know I liked; when I was shopping my spec's for a custom among various luthiers at Luthiers Access Group, Chris's bid came in very close to what I'm paying for a Dave Pushic, about $100 higher.

FWIW, his work looks quite nice. I didn't go with him because Dave's work had gotten some raves here and Chris hadn't been mentioned.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A friend of mine recently got a Stambaugh... he loves it. Chris seems to really know what he's doing. I talked to him last month with the intention of doing something but my job situation remains funny.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Speaking of which, I seem to remember something to the effect that you can give LAG your specs and they'll send them to the luthiers for you (saving you a bit of work)...is that right, or do they just get a coupla lutheirs e-mails in close proximity for you? (I.E. the web page)

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I think that the "shop your specs" thing came from one of the othe talkbass posters who was looking into having some custom work done. I'm sure that Dan will do this for you if you want to see what kind of a deal you can get from the luthiers who are part of the LAG collective. The best thing to do, if you happen to live in Chicago like I do, is to call Dan and set up an appointment to stop by his place on the south side. As for vitually everyone else in the world, you will probably have to catch him at a guitar show or do the "try before you buy" deal advertised on the web site. I'm heading down there this weekend...I think...and I'd be happy to report my opinions to anyone who might be interested. Dan's a great guy and is VERY interested in the luthiers he represents.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah, I've mentioned that a couple of times in threads here.

I just emailed mine to them last winter and they got back to me with 6 quotes from all over, including Ken Lawrence and Mike Dolan. Since it wasn't a Fender clone, I imagine that kept some people from bidding on it.