Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried a Ibanez SRX 505?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, May 23, 2002.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yep, that time of the year for me to migrate to USA in search for my next bass (or gadgets)...

so now i builded up a GAS for a 5 stringer and looked around the net for models, prices, etc...

i stumbled into this new model by Ibanez (SRX). yes i know everyone here hates Soundgear... but this is different... it has wider neck, Accu-Cast bridge, Basswood body with flamed maple top, 3-piece maple neck with rosewood fretboard, medium frets, and pearl dot markers.

i also loved the looks by the pictures (i have to see it in person yet)... and i absolutely loved the price ($499-500)

so with my third world budget i need your opinion on how it sounds, playability, etc... YES, i will compare other basses on store... but this one has been circulating my head all day damn it! :)

Pictures:

[​IMG]

(guitartrader kicks other stores ass at product photos)

2. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I have used one, and it sounded like most ibanez do, and very beutiful, i give a 8.75 out of 10:D

3. There's a picture of Doug Wimbish playing a similar one in a recent issue of Bass Player. I'm not a fan of Ibanez by any means, but Doug knows what he's doing, so I can only imagine the bass is at least very good.

4. The fiver had the flopppiest B I've ever played. The four string seemed like a great bass though.

It may have been the strings on the five, but I would thoroughly test it. The playability, tone and construction seemed remarkabbly high standard however - if I was looking for a cheap four it would be a major contender.

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i played the 4 and it sounded awsome!!!

6. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i played one of those recently,yes the B is floppy,not to bad though,all i can say for this bass is it has real hot pickups/eq.amp!! the store had me hooked up to a practice combo with a 10" speaker and i was rumbling the stuff on the walls,lol,all in all i would buy one,but i would add a few extra bucks and get an ibanez btb 5 string model...good-luck..

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    keep em coming!

(im most likely to pick up a MTD K5 if i get to see one)... still interested in more coments.

some questions for MTD Kingston owners:

what's under the Pickguard?
    (aestetically, i hate that pickguard... i would remove it)

can you get replacement pickguards for it? (easily?)

8. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i played the fiver..

B is very floppy indeed, but overall sounds pretty good. i couldnt get used to the feel of the neck.. looks nice though. good price.

9. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I hate them too...

look at fhodshon K5 (not the ibanez ;) ):
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=47123

[​IMG]

this beauty gives me SERIOUS GAS!

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hey thanks PC, now i can buy it without worrying about it!

(what does PC stands for??)

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Dave, notice that there is cover plate on that K5. Perhaps you could as Mikey T for one, but if not, the neck joint and truss rod access will be visible.

It's neat job tho, and if you can stand seeing a bit of a maple at the end of the fretboard.. Actually I kinda dig it but mine has maple board, dunno how it would look with rosewood.

12. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    They're my name initials: Paulo Cezar. :D

13. i know this is an old post...but i'm looking to buy one second hand for R2700( that's about US$ 230). dave did you end up buying one?

14. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I love Ibanez basses - you can see that in my user pic but I agree with some posts here about some five string Ibanez basses not being up to snuff. I've run into some models that had very floppy B strings on them. Had a few but traded or sold them. I had an SR505 not the SRX505 so not too sure about the one you're interested in.

I think the BTB five strings are a little less floppy (at least the one I tried) and actually a pretty good Ibanez 5.
    Best 5 strings I've played are Fender Jazz V and a Peavey Grind. They have their own little issues but floppy B strings not being one of them. The Grind is the fiver I currently use and it's 35 scale so that extra inch makes it less floppy. Not too crazy with the pickups but that'll be changed later.