Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried a Kingbass fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, May 3, 2005.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I'm seriously considering a Status Kingbass fretless 5 at the moment. :) I've heard great things, but it's been years since I've played any Status fretless (I've only ever found fretted ones in bass dealers anywhere nearby) and my memory is a little indistinct on them. Does anyone here own a Status fretless, and can you share your experience?

I love the look, and I love the tone of fretted Statuses (Stati?), plus the promise of incredible "mwah", but I'm concerned about how present the bass would be in the mids, and if it comes across sounding at all sterile.

Russ :bassist:

2. Hi Russ

Am I reading you correctly, a Status :confused: Why not a fretless Sei so that you can have twins.

Regards

Matthew

ps how much growl do you get from your wenge 5er. I am curious because I have a cunning plan which I will be talking over with Martin on Thursday

3. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Don't worry, I haven't abandoned Sei... another fretted Sei is on the agenda... :D
    I'm thinking of the fretless Kingbass because the thought of a fretless with a graphite neck appeals to me a lot - lots of mwah, no fingerboard wear with roundwounds and a good slap sound. Trying to go for that Michael Manring fretless vibe, basically.

4. Russ

You have reassured me :D

I certainly cannot argue with the Michael Manring tone it is awsome and in my book he is the best fretless player out there.

By the way, I stopped by your website last night and played some of your songs. Most excellent. Naomi my 14 year old daughter also liked some of your stuff which is praise indeed!

Sorry to ask again but how much growl does your wenge Sei give. Do you think it is much more than an ash, alder or mahogany body?

Regards

Matthew

5. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    It certainly has plenty of growl, although I attribute that more to the neck (wenge/bubinga with an ebony fingerboard) than the body, since Sei bodies are quite small and with lots of routed-out bits, although I'm sure it does contribute. It's certainly more growly than anything I've played made of ash or alder, although I've played quite growly mahogany basses in the past. If you want to try it out sometime, let me know and maybe we can meet up at The Gallery or something.

6. Russ

Thanks for the kind offer but you have just confirmed for me what I was thinking. I will be off to the Gallery tomorrow afternoon to speak to Martin about my new Sei which has been a long time in the planning and I hope to be able to share the specs with people soon.

All I will say at the moment is that it will be a new project for Martin in a number of ways, whilst based around a Flamboyant so that it clearly remains a Sei.

More to follow in due course.

However this thread should now get back to the Kingbass.

Matthew