Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried a Mesa 400+ and a epifani 3-10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Just wandering if anyone has ever tried these as a pair together. Iwas thinking about getting a 400+ and quit messing around with all this solid state stuff.:cool:

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Same here Flat Bass. I'm going to all tubes! I might be getting a trace elliot 400watt all tube head soon.

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    oh I'll be running it with two EA CxL-110's

4. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    It seems like to me that this would be a great combo to play with. 500 tube watts and a 750 watt epifani 3-10 cab.:cool:

5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I have never played the Epifanis or Euphonics.

I have tried the Mesa 400+ with a Berg 3-10 and it sounded great alone. I A/Bd the 3-10 + 2-12 next to the Eden D-410xlt with D-210xlt. They were about equal in output (maybe the Edens had an edge), But the Bergs were more hi-fi.

My conclusion was; with the tube amp,the more speakers were bigger sounding. They were more effecient. The amp had more headroom.

I think if I had to have one cab, it would be a 4-10, not a 3-10.

I wish Jim Bergantino would make an HT-410!!!!

6. My 400+ is my favorite rig. I concluded months ago after much experimentation, the Mesa 400+ is not the right amp for the "hi fi" cabs such as Bergantino and Epifaini. I have owend both. The 400+ does not have the power to "open" up either of these cabs to their potential. They sound great at low to medium volumne but start to clip when it's time to rock and roll. I ended up getting a QSC2402 and Demter Pre for my wonderful Bergantino cabs. I probably would of kept the Epi if I had this rig two years ago and then made the switch to the Bergs anyway. My 400+ is great though my Mesa 1x15 with and EV. It also sounded real good through the Eden 410xlt I sold. If you like Eden that is a good cab. As I understand it, the newer hifi cabs are not really efficent in the way that will allow almost all power to bring them to the potenial, hence all the "power hungry" post on this very subject and gear. I'm not a tech and really can't explain it that well, but have the same equipment and first hand experiance. Good Luck