Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried a Peterson Strobostomp Tuner/Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by theaterbass29, May 26, 2004.

1. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
  2. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    Ive been shopping for a good strobe tuner and since I have an MTD with Buzz Feiten, it will be the first time my bass has been in perfect intonation since it left Mikes shop. However, all of the reviews of this pedal tuner show it being very poor. I havent been able to pull up any reviews, but Musicians Friend gives it 1 1/2 stars out of 5. Peterson has a pretty strong reputation for putting out quality tuners, so I find this hard to believe. Im supposing that it might have a difficult learning curve, or something, but with True Bypass, Buzz Feiten mode, and BAS mode for bass, all in a compact stompbox with an active D.I. for under $200, who could go wrong. I want to buy one, but Im going to wait and see if anyone posts anything negative on here first. Thanks for your input.

3. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah, I'm curious about this pedal too.

4. zennit

zennit

Feb 1, 2004
    San Diego, CA.
    Hi, I just received my strobostomp and it is really fantastic! I don't have alot of previous experience with strobe tuners but a friend gave me a brief tutorial with an old VS-1 and I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I haven't used the presets or anything. I play a 34" scale, non-fietenized Nordie 4. I think the "stomp-box" feature is totally intuitive. The screen is totally visible. I also won't be trying the direct-box side ofthings. Hope this was helpful!

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I recently picked up one of the VS-II Petersen strobe tuners, and it's one of the best investments I've made in my gear. :hyper:

Setting up a bass using the Petersen is soooooomuch nicer than any other tuner I've tried it with. I've found that I'm getting a more accurate setup, and I can hear the difference.

I didn't need another DI, and my Boss tuner that I have velcro'd to my GK works great live, so that's why I went with the table top model.

If the Strobostomp works as well, it'd be a great addition to a nice pedalboard.

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I have a VS-1 and I love it. It makes setting up my MTD's with BFTS a breeze. It takes a bit of getting used to. I can see why someone used to a needle type tuner might find it a bit frustrating, but this tuner is 100 times more sensitive

Mike

7. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I already have the VS-1 and love it. I use the old Sabine pocket tuner away from home though. How durable is the Strobostomp? My power cable on the VS-1 came kinda loose from the factory, so it can't be shaken around. How about the bass guitar temperment setting? Does it really make the bass sound "sweeter"?

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I just got mine today... will report back later

9. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    WRT to the Musician's Friend "reviews," according to a Peterson rep at Harmony Central, they appeared before the units were even shipped. They're BS. Everyone there who actually has one loves it.

Look for a flood on the TU-2 market, including mine. When I saw it in BP Mag, I got a woody. A Peterson pedal strobe! As a (former-ish) brass player, I've used strobes for years. Father's Day is just around the corner... :bassist:

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    So, it's a great tuner, very versatile etc. The backlight is very cool.

Bottom line, it's great but I'm not sure it does enough extra that I would use to make it worth while keeping. If you're using different types of instrument etc, different tempered tunings etc it's perfect for you. But for me using it on bass alone it's kind of overkill - I already have preamp/DI unit on my pedalboard.

11. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I got mine yesterday and absolutely love it. It is the best and easiest tuner I have ever used. I wholeheartedly recommend it. Take a minute to read the directions. It is a minute well spent. :hyper:

12. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I usually play with a digital piano, so as far as I'm concerned, the "extra" is being accurate to 1/10 of a cent vice 3 cents. I can get within 3 cents with my ear, and it's free. ;) The only thing my TU-2 does is allow me to tune silently (which is important), but I still have to adjust. Unless someone has a real negative, I'm sold.

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The only reason that I have it is to intonate by MTDs with the BFTS

Mike

14. You mean it doesnt cut the signal when it tunes?

15. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    it cuts the signal when it tunes if you have in in true bypass mode - but you can also use it as a DI when not in TB mode, which means no muting. or something.

I bought one, but it wasn't worth the 200 bucks when I have 2 other tuners, so I returned it. Its insane level of sensitivity also means it drove me nuts - but i was SOOOOO in tune =0)

16. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    Which one is the best - the Strobostomp or the VS-II ?????

I'm thinking about investing in one of those two.. :)

17. Ah, ok, many thanks, jammadave & SMASH

18. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm impressed with my Strobostomp. Like Mike Dimin, I got my Peterson to intonate my Buzz Feiten-equipped MTD bass - but I'm using mine as an everyday tuner, as well (why not, especially with the BFB temperment mode?). The display is great, bright, and well-protected (I toss the thing in my gear bag without a second thought). Best of all, the company seems to be totally and absolutely committed to customer service and satisfaction. Questions on Peterson's web forums are answered fully and promptly by Peterson staff... you can tell that they are 100% committed to supporting the product.

Bottom line: From what I can see and tell, this is far away the most accurate guitar/bass tuner available anywhere, and it's a well-designed, well-built, and well-supported little box, to boot.

The Reff: From what I understand about the difference between the Strobostomp and VS-II, the main difference is convenience. The stomp box can be tossed into a gear bag and is as easy to use as any pedal tuner (i.e., Boss). The VS-II has more knobs so it is easier to navigate through custom setting menus, etc. when you're setting intonation or switching temperments for different instruments. The VS-II would also be the choice if you're wanting a strobe to use for a variety of instruments, as the stomp box is optimized for guitar and bass. Accuracy is identical, so I'm told.

:)

19. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    So then it pretty much comes down to the size then...... :) I actually don't know which one I would choose.

20. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Thanks, all. You've made up my mind.:)