1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone tried a Ric 4003 into a DB750?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Apr 12, 2006.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Or am I gonna be the first one that has to do so ?? :)

I'm having a hard time deciding between an all tube head (either an orange ad200b or a Mesa 400+) and the DB750.

Everyone recomends a tube head for the 4003 (which is my main bass) but could I get some good growl (Think "Exit... Stage Left" sound) with the DB750 and the ric?

FWIW, I have an NV425 which is also highly reccomended with the DB750.

Your input is always apreciated as usual.

thanks.

2. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I've used my 4001 into my 750. If you like the sound of a Ric with huge balls, you'll love this. Nice mix with the cab as well.

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I think that amp combo, which I also have, is going to be awesome with the Ric. I wish I still had mine.

4. i have a ric 4003 and the DB750 was one of the main contenders when i was in the market for a new head last month. I heard it has thunder like lows and sound great. I did however opt with the an all tube head, an orange ad200b mk3, because i got a great price on it and couldnt find any stores that had a db750 for me to try.

make sure to post sound clips, pictures, and reviews once you get it.

5. jazzbasser79

jazzbasser79

Oct 30, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I had a 4003 for a while and I have a db750 and an nv215. I really didnt like the tone of the 4003 through that head. It was extremely clean and lacked growl and punch. It would have been great for more melodic bass playing like old beatles stuff, but if i ever get a rick again it'll be with an all tube head.

6. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I know what you mean, jazzbasser, but to get any kind of growl I turn the gain "way" up. I find that with all the knobs on the Aguilar, you can make large adjustments (in EQ, for example) and still retain musicality. I guess my point is that until you're at extremes, the adjustments on the 750 make for fine differences.

Except for the master. I don't adjust that up very much. ; )

7. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Would throwing an OD in the mix help with the "growl factor"?

The EBS Varidrive looks very nice!