Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried an Aggie gs112 w/ an iAmp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ole Jason, Apr 14, 2004.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I'm shopping for a cab to go with my iAmp 350. I am considering getting the EA CXL 112 but I'm having a hard time finding one that I can afford. I've found a GS112 for $300 and can probably talk them down a bit.

I've often read that Aguilar cabs have a vintage vibe but I've seen Patitucci use them live and I'd describe his tone as quite 'high fi'. Unfortunately I'm not able to try out either cab before buying. That's a big reason why I want to go used, if I end up not liking it I can resell it and not be out much.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the aguilar's a great cab to go with the iAMP. the iAMP's EQ really lets you get the most from the cab, and will help you get whatever sound you want.

besides, if you buy used, you can sell used. ;)

3. I now use a Clarus 400AI with an Agi GS112. Given that the Agi box is so deep, the tone is probably not as clear or as hi-bright as what you might get with an EA. But for me the combotone (hey, a new word!) of a slightly vintage sounding cab with a hi-fi amp, makes, IMO, a nice blend.
    There's also an Avatar 112 you can get (in 8 or 4 ohms), although I've never played thru one and so couldn't tell you the sound. (But it's $250 new and shipped, and many here speak as well of them as they do of the Aguilars...)

Greywoulf

4. I recently started using an iAmp 800 with 2 gs112’s. It’s a cool light set up and the tone kills, IMO.

[​IMG]

5. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    That looks like a killer setup! I'm just waiting on them to email me back, I'm pushing for free shipping hehe.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    seriously cool rig, Winston. :cool:

7. Thank you :)