Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried an Ashworth?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Paul Moore, May 22, 2002.

1. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried one of the Ashworth bass pickups. Pickups other than Fishmans are pretty hard to come by in England but someone recommended an Ashworth AJ301 or AJ301P to me. I've never known of anyone using one but I understand the guitar pickups are good and the price isn't too bad.:eek:

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Read this excerpt from a message posted on the EUB_list I own on Yahoogroups:

The body is swamp ash, the neck is built by a double bass luthier who developed his skills at Vox H, the bridge is the secret: a Ashworth special thing for EUB (found on Jonathan Lohse's site (thanks Jonathan!), & I bought it from the picture. It was a gamble, but it works!). The 'feel' of the instrument is very AUB-like because of the contour/belly & knee support, which is made of very thin multiplex, layered with very strong carbonfiber (with a little bit inspiration on the Yamaha EUB). It also helps the bass to look a little like an instrument and not a lantern pole. Well, listen & look for yourself at my site: http://beam.to/aussen, push the red button on the left-under (or look & listen at my bands first, especially La Trenza), and click the links. You 'll see & hear two foto's and a .mpg-movie of the bass.

============

I hope the Ashworth bridge you're talking about is the same thing!

HTH

3. About 4 or 5 years ago, when I was in college, we hosted a scholl age big-band from Northumberland. The upright player had a really nice sound and I asked him about his pickup. I'm sorry I don't remember the details, but he said someone in Northumberland hand made them and it cost about 200 quid (sp?). Sorry I don't know anything specific this probably doesn't help much.