1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone tried an Emerald Guitars XB-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ksukev, Nov 21, 2010.

1. ksukev

ksukev Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Kansas
  2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    Have one. Love it!. Build quality and playability are excellent. The bass is very light weight. Tone is very even across the strings. with the sound hole on the upper horn, you hear yourself pretty well. It has a a very tight and articulate sound - unlike many ABG, it has more of an electric sound than an acoustic.

I think many people see it and want it to sound like a Tacoma Thunderchief or Taylor AB, that is not what this bass does.
    I have a 5 string tuned E to C so I cannot tell you about the low B response.

Mike

3. Looks cool - always wanted to spend some time w/ a carbon fiber instrument. I work for a guy who uses a cf cello and loves it . . .

4. ksukev

ksukev Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Kansas
    Mike, thanks for the input. I have another question for you if I could find the time. Does it have a truss rod? I owned 2 Modulus basses before they were equipped with trusses and each needed a "tweak" that I just couldn't get. It was then I found out that (a) Modulus changed to a truss system and got a neck changed out and (b) Modulus's customer service stunk. I'd like to know I can make adjustments if need be. Thanks.

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    they do have a truss rod. The minor tweak that I did worked

6. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    $2K WOW. I thought it might be twice that price.

7. ksukev

ksukev Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Kansas
    Thanks agian, Mike. Man, now I'm really jonesing for one of these. Dangit!!!

8. Mick D.

Mick D.

Jul 3, 2007
    Dunedin, FL
    Independent Asian Sourcing Consultant and Instrument Designer/Builder
    I spent some time with the Emerald 5-string while I was working the Epifani booth at NAMM.
    The neck is stiff so the B-string speaks with a lot of authority and a strong fundamental.