Anyone tried Corelli 380s?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JAS, Apr 7, 2005.

1. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    Has anyone tried these 380 series wrapped in nickel? I have tried all the tungsten 370 series, but not these. I remember the 370s sounding very nice for pizz and especially arco, but being very thin. I am wondering if the 380s are thicker and how thick?

I know on electric bass guitar, nickel strings have always sounded and felt nice to me, but I don't know how that translates here.
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    They are only marginally thicker and darker than the tungstens.
    Hope this answers your question!
  3. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I have a set of 380's. It's been a couple years since I used them but from what I remember they were a decent steel string. Kinda dark & smooth sounding. Diameter seems pretty average, not thick or thin.

If you want to try them out email me with your address and I will send them to you. If you happen to like them make me an offer and there yours. Or just send them back if you don't like them.

4. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    Thanks for the offer, but I'm O.K. right now. I was just wondering about them. I'm looking for something thicker I think.
  5. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
  6. kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I'm a fan of the 380s. The downside of the 380s is that the E pizz is ambiguous and weak compared against the 370 E. I finally settled on the 370 E, 380 on the other three. The 380s are more affordable. If you compare the individual string prices of the 380s with 370s you'll notice that most of the price difference is in the E string. People in this forum have said that the 380 and 370 D and G are the same string. I've tried them both and found them slightly different. The 370 G,D seem a little brighter and push back less under the bow. In general, you'll find the 380s to be darker. Hope this helps.