Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried flats on a modern 5 (LaBella on Pedulla Thunderbolt)???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by junglebike, Apr 27, 2004.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I've got a Pedulla Thunderbolt coming in the mail... very excited.

For a long time I played a P-bass with 9050's on 'er for the old school funk tone. I'm wondering if anyone's got experience with a similar string on a modern 5-stringer like the Pedulla?

I play jazz and funk. I don't hardly slap at all, and that's okay with me... I know I just gotta try it and see, but at $50/set I'd at least like to get an idea first!

2. I've used the Thomastik-Infeld JF345's on my Sadowsky V5 and the tone is unbelievable!

I'm certain your Pedulla will sound just as nice.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I like to use TI Jazz Flats on my US Curbow 5 string International Petite. It has Bartolini pickups and an 18V EMG preamp, and sounds absolutely amazing like that.

Give it a shot. I think you'll like the results.

4. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    In the latest BP magazine, Ben Kenney (of incubus) said he uses flats on his lakland J, because he realised one day that modern basses have so much sustain anyway, he can have the sound of flats with great sustain, low sustain being what used to put him off flats in the past.

so i went and bought some TI's :) they havn't arrived yet but i can't wait to try them.

5. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Interesting -- thanks for the replies!

I've used TI's on a fretless before with fantastic results. I was looking for a more thumping sound for my fretted basses -- a bit of that Jamerson P-bass magic. But I want some of the tone of a modern bass as well. I went ahead and ordered a set LaBellas from bassguitarstrings.us

I know that the TIs and the LaBellas are pretty different tonally. It'll be interesting to see what it sounds like!

Personally, I think modern basses can have too much sustain! I never could figure out why people always want more of it!

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    though I've switched it to Stainless Rounds since. I ordered my fretted 51 with SIT flats. most of the sound clips on my Benavente page are with it wearing the flats.

I'm sure the SIT's are closer to the LaBella's then the TI.

7. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I just got some Rotosound Flats yesterday and strung them on my Thumb Fretless. So far I really like the sound and feel.

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Better too much than not enough -- at least you can stop something that's continuing, but you can't keep a note ringing. Other than that, I know I prefer a lot of sustain. I just recently got into learning to play vocal melodies on bass, and my first song is "42nd Street", with a sustained note over 4 bars. Rough.

9. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I don't know about that -- the problem is that if you have infinite sustain, you can't get a decay -- Jamerson's tone, for example, has a relatively quick decay and a thumpy upright style attack. It would be very difficult to get that on a bass with tons of sustain.

Perhaps with excellent muting technique you could get there...

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, then you just pull a Bob Babbit and toss some foam on the saddles. Like I said, you can stop something, but if you need it and it isn't there...it just isn't there for you to get.

11. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I string my Pedulla Rapture single PU model with TI Flats, it's also equipped with an Aguilar OBP3, and it sounds great. I don't particularly care for them on my J2 Rapture, however, and string this one with EB Nickels.