1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone tried Joe Meek?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Brado, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    I was checking out some of their rack gear on line. I was interested in the possabilities of the "One Q." It's got compression, EQ, different gain structures, other filtering/voicing things like D-esser & enhancement? It looks like it could be a great preamp with all of the versatility I would ever need. This would be run into a good power amp & into a couple of Accu Groove cabs. Has anyone tried it out/ heard it live? Anyone use one? Lemme' know what cha' think.
    http://www.joemeek.com/oneqenlarge.html

2. I've never heard one used as part of a live rig, but I did use one when I recorded at Audio Logic Studios in Seattle, and I was very impressed. Usually I am unhappy with the sound of bass recording direct to digital, and record basic tracks on analog, but I will definately use the Joe Meek setup again!

3. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Joe Meek stuff is awesome. only used the optical compressor though. I'd get it if it does everything you need.

can you take it back if you don't like it?

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Their stuff has a really great tone and "feel" IMO, but it's not to everyone's tastes. E.g. I like the Joemeek compressor a lot, but other people find it too squishy or weird. Also their construction quality is spotty- some production runs were better than others, and a few of their products really came out on the crappy end in terms of construction. But that's not to paint them all with the same brush- some of their units are well-built.

I would not hesitate to use their gear in the studio, but if I was in a "rugged" gigging situation I'm not so sure. FWIW the "SixQ" is the model that I've seen the most praise for.

5. Babaluma

Babaluma

Nov 10, 2007
    Yokohama
    i had a 3q and disliked it. the pre amp was no better than a mackie mixer, the compressor wasn't very fully featured (it's better on the six q, one q, and twin q i believe), and finding the "sweet spots" was really hard as it seemed to go from complete squish to no effect in a very small space, the eq was very so so.

also ted fletcher, the original designer of the joemeek gear, left the company a long time ago, production moved to china etc.

i think it's pretty unreasonable to expect a really good channel strip for that kind of money, but if you were to go for separate d.i./pre, eq or compressor then i'd have a lot more suggestions.

another option would be an avalon u5 d.i. (with lovely passive eq), plus an art pro vla 2 compressor. i am sure this combination would cost less and sound much better!

6. 51m0n

51m0n

Jun 30, 2005
    I've used the twinQ a lot to record bass (and all sorts of other stuff)

I love it it.

This latest version (the dark green stuff) is excellent quality, I find the compression just fantastic, the eq is extremely musical too, highly recommended. The twinQ doesnt have the enhancer though so I cant comment on that, but as a tracking tool and for mix down also I really do love the twinQ.

Mind you I'm the first to admit I really really like the Meek sound.

7. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I have a very old VC6, its always in use to tame tube bass pre amp transient distortion the q knob is very effective for picking out good definition.
    But only take a sip of compression and then hand on to other insert compressors post the tube pre, set at different attack time and wider ratios of say 4 to 1.
    It ain't the only compressor you need.
    :ninja: