1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone tried M-audio's Recent interfaces?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by tlite, Oct 3, 2020.

1. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Anyone tried any recent M-Audio AIR interfaces?

How do they stack up against other options?

Seemed like M-Audio were all over the place a few years ago but not much third party info out there regarding their AIR interfaces, etc.

Thanks!

2. AceOfBassFace

AceOfBassFace

Jun 23, 2019
    Toronto
    I'm using the Air 192 | 4. It sounds quite good for a cheaper unit. Their windows drivers are a bit flaky when playing audio from iTunes, web browsers etc, but work flawlessly with my DAW (Reaper). No issues on my Mac either. I've managed to get the latency down to around 8ms.

I can attach some audio samples if you want to hear how it tracks bass.

I bought this back in April, I have a feeling the focusrite stuff is a bit better, but that was all out of stock at my local shop.

tlite likes this.
  3. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    10-4. Thanks. Have an M-audio Profire 610 and have been happy with the build quality and performance over the years, but I just got a new PC and the driver is causing spikes in audio performance in Cubase vs. the Generic Low Latency driver.

Was mostly wondering if their new stuff is relevant. Sounds like it's OK, but maybe there's better boxes? I need enough outs to do a hardware effect loop in my DAW. Mostly been considering the Focusrite 4i4 and MOTU M4, but didn't want to discount M-Audio if they were still in the mix in a good way.

Pun intended.

4. AceOfBassFace

AceOfBassFace

Jun 23, 2019
    Toronto
    I can only speak to the one I have - it's great for what it is and the low price. The build quality is great, the knobs feel nice, the headphone amp is plenty loud. Not sure if it can handle an effect send/return. Never tried that.

The Windows driver is really flaky for me too - on anything other than Reaper, but does seem to work perfectly while using Reaper. I get around it by monitoring through the PC sound card for non-Reaper audio. Kind of a pain but not too bad. I've put in a support ticket to them so we'll see if they update.

I'm using this for home studio scratch stuff only. For the occasional paid sessions I do, I'm usually at my buddy's studio with all the latest and greatest RME/UA stuff. Honestly though there's really not too much of a noticeable difference in sound-quality unless you're listening back on a high end system.

I believe the focusrite & motu interfaces are a step above this m-audio gear. That being said; RME, Apogee, or UA are the way to go if you're getting paid in my opinion.

5. Tosh

Tosh

Jul 12, 2020
    Salem, Oregon
    All of my old MidiMan and M-Audio equipment still works, but drivers can be a problem. In my opinion, they've moved downwards when compared to the competition since being aquired by Avid. MOTU, on the other hand, has expanded in both quality and selection during the same time period.

MOTU is now my Go-To.

tlite and cassanova like this.
  6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I agree with what was said here. I've got an Avid M Track Plus, and 2nd gen Scarlett 2i2. My buddy has the Air, and to my ears, the Scarlett sounds a bit better. The tone is a bit more well rounded, and sounds a tad fuller than the other 2. Both my 2i2 and M Track Plus are also about the same age, and the M Track has much more noise than the Scarlet. Noise which btw, never used to be there. Spot on with the drivers too. My daw didn't recognize the M Track when I bought it, so had to hunt them down (which was a bit of a pain), the 2i2 was instantly recognized without any issues.

7. Gilbert Myers

Gilbert Myers

Oct 5, 2020
    Hey Ace, do you have any issue with your bass being to "hot" going directly into the m-audio Air? I have an Warwick with some emg active pickups. thanks..

8. AceOfBassFace

AceOfBassFace

Jun 23, 2019
    Toronto
    No issues overloading the inputs, I'm using a jazz with EMG JVX's. Gain is usually set around noon.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021