Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried Rio Grande P Bass pickups ??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DaveB, Nov 14, 2000.

1. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm thinking of trying a Rio Grande Vintage pickup in my Fender P. Anyone with experience ?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've talked with a guy, also a Fender P owner as am I, who played a Fender with a Rio Grande on it. He wasn't impressed enough to consider them for his P. He said he thought the lower end Carvins, which cost about the same ($50), were as good/better. I seen about 38 user reviews on Grandes, only of which 2 were by bassists, and those were replacements for Japanese PU's, one, on some bass called a "Rokkoman." (Wasn't that in a Godzilla movie?). Personally, I'm turned off by the Grande website on which the verbage is pretty self-congratulatory, no bass publication raves, and the word "fancy" is overused. Looking good gets you compliments, sounding good gets you paid.

How about getting some Lane Poors and letting me know how they are for the bass I'm having built? ;)

I started out on guitar, too, and love your city, "Tranta," passionately.