Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone tried six tubes in a 400+?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thelastofus, Oct 26, 2002.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    I know a lot of people who take out half their powertubes in their guitar amps to cut the power in half. I was wondering if anyone's tried this with a 400+. That thing's just too loud. It sounds good but I'd like to have better control over the volume. Anyone tried this? Does it work well and if so how does the tube life suffer from this?

2. It'll work just fine. The beauty of the 400+ design is that you can theoretically yank out almost all of them and your rig will still keep on working. If a tube goes in the middle of a set, yank it out (after you trun the rig off!!) and keep on truckin'. But why the heck would you wanna do that....?

3. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    why? the reason is because this is the loudest amp on the planet. when we play it's hard to dial in the right volume because the slightest turn of either volumes (master or channel) and it seems to double in volume. I want it to be easier to find the sweet point for stage volume. My friends rectifiers also sound a lot better since they're able to drive their tubes harder. I'm growing less and less of a fan of bass overdrive but I think it still will probably sound better being able to crank it a little more. Thanks. Oh yeah, re-tubing will also be much cheaper (granted they'll need to be replaced sooner but hopefully by that time i'll have a better job).

4. Those 400+ tubes will almost never have to be replaced unless you are gigging every night or beating the heck outta that rig. I was just razzing ya about the volume thing. That is actually why the rig didn't work out so great for me too; that it sounded best (most full) with the master above "4". I should have tried taking some tubes out; good idea?

5. First of all let me say PBG knows way more than I do..it's obvious to listen to his warning!

My opinion is not to pull any tubes out. If I'm not mistaken the 400+ is wired in "parallel" which in my understanding, if you remove tubes it should be done in PAIRS. Looking from the rear of the unit tubes are from left to right, back row 1 through 6, outer row 7 through 12 just for name sake. The pairs should be thought as of 1 and 7, 2 and 8 and so on. So, if one goes microphonic say number 3 power tube, take out 3 and 9. Correct me if I'm wrong PBG.

Master volumne: Many of you 400+ owners don't turn your master up much. I have alway run my master about on 6.5 or 7 and the pre section on the active around 3 and passive 2 or 2.5. I got a real nice throaty, punchy, yummy sound. I've tried some other's suggested setting but alway go back to mine. Must be the Lakands....

6. This course of action was recomended to me from the folks at Mesa and the one time a tube blew, I replaced the fuse and removed the bottle and kept on running through the eve on 11 power tubes. I am awful squeamish when it comes to my gear and was surprised when the techies suggested this. Worked great?