Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried Sonic cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greaseball, Jan 2, 2006.

1. greaseball

greaseball

Dec 1, 2005
    Please post any good or bad experiences w/ any of their cabs. I recently came across a 610, appeared to be sealed, bass cab on ebay. Prices seem too good to b true. Would appreciate any input.

2. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
  3. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I had a Sonic 4x12 angled cab I used with a vintage 100w Marshall Super Lead head. Sounded pretty good, although not quite as tight as my Marshall 4x12 straight cab, but not bad and it was very cheap!

The problem I found with it was the weight. VERY HEAVY.

4. I had a sonic 1x15, loaded with EVM. Sounded pretty good actually. I went to a sonic 1x18, loaded with EVM. Not so happy, went to Bag end 18", much better, less boomy.

Randy

5. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I've heard that they make great bang for the buck PA cabs and that they use quality components and drivers, haven't heard anything about their bass cabs though.

6. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Sonic is like the Avatar of the retail world. They've been around since the late 70s or early 80s, primarily sold in the Midwest. They use mostly Eminence drivers these days and the build quality is great on both cabinets and their wooden racks. (I've got one of their racks.) Great bang for the buck on all their stuff including PA speakers, which I've used numerous times with great success.

I've never personally played through their bass cabs, but I've seen quite a few people around here using the 6x10 on festival stages. Their website is http://www.sonicspeaker.com

7. greaseball

greaseball

Dec 1, 2005
    Thank you for all the responses. Nearest dealer to me is close to 100 miles. Might be worth a trip to check out a 610 cab though.

8. Sonic has made a lot of different config cabinets over the years. Their current lineup of six models, as seen on the website, has been around since 1999 or 2000 with no changes. In fact, the bass cabs page on their website has a copyright of 2002..

I have a Micromini 18 cabinet, which was made back in the early 90's. I bought it unloaded for $125 and put a $225 Electro-voice EVM-18B in it. I still love the tone of this cabinet for 4-string. It's a very compact and lightweight cabinet, and it makes a fine extension cab for my 10" combos. They probably stopped making the Micromini 15 and 18's in the late 90's right before the current line was finalized.

They aren't breaking any new ground with the designs, but they all look to be solid cabs that the company owners are satisfied with.

The thing to be aware of about their current cabinets is that they are made of heavyweight plywood. If you check out the bass cabs, you'll see they are fairly heavy, yet comparable to a lot of non-neo equipped competitors. Look at the tweeter cabs- all of them have 18 db/octave crossovers.. very high-end.

They do have a fair number of retail dealers around the country. It doesn't look like many, until you compare them to a newcomer like Bergantino, who has very few retail dealers out there.

9. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I've got a 1x15 that I love. I got an ampeg 4x10 and tried to sell the Sonic as I didn't really need it. No one wanted to give me anything for it and I kept it-- glad I did. Sounds great, lightweight cab that has been very durable.

10. Sonics are made about 20 minutes from my house so there are a ton of them around here. I bought a new 610 for $320. I lined one up right next to an Ampeg 610 and played both with my SVT-3. I couldn't tell a difference. I thought it was an awesome cab. It was plenty loud and sounded extremely good for the price. I sold it to another guy for $350. I highly recommend them. Other people haven't had as good of experiences as me with beat up 210's and 15's, but I was extremely pleased with mine.