anyone tried tech 21 bass power engine?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dunamis, Dec 20, 2004.

1. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    I've read posts by several TB'rs that use the SABDDI to drive a power amp or powered speaker. I'm wondering if anyone has tried Tech 21's Bass Power Engine 60. It has a 60W "transparent" power amp and a 12" driver. It appears to made for just the purpose.

If you like the SansAmp sound (and I do!) and you don't find need to have more tone shaping or voicing options than the the SansAmp offers, something like this would seem to the ticket.

I wonder how it would stack up against other options such as a powered PA speaker, or even small combo amps. Thanks for any advice you might offer.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    60 watts wouldn't get me out of my bedroom . . .
  3. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    A quality 60 watts is actually pretty loud. I had a Genz-Benz Intro 50 (I want to jump off a building every time I think about the fact that I sold it) which was only 50 watts (12" speaker) and I couldn't believe how powerful it was. It was every bit as ballsy as a Hartke Kickback 12 I used for a while once, which was 120 watts through a 12" speaker.

Some companies are pretty conservative in their power ratings, like Genz Benz and Eden. Companies like SWR, in my opinion, highly exaggerate their power ratings...

I use a Genz Benz GBE600 which is about 425W @ 4 ohms and it's louder at about 9 o'clock than the SWR Mo'Bass I had at about 3 o'clock, which was rated at 900W bridged mono @ 4 ohms...

I'm just trying to illustrate that "60 Watts" could mean anything... it might impress ya :)
  4. ganzillamusic

Oct 23, 2010
    Just got one and am looking for another in case anyone wants to part with one!
  5. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I like things simple. Right now I have an Ibanez SR500 mahogany bass. It has a series/parallel or some doggone kind of switch, a bass, mid, treble, and balance. I came from the P bass with one volume and one tone. I don't vary my tone much all night. I can get different tones with my fingers on different places on the strings. What's my point? I think this would be a good amp for me, because I would concentrate on the controls of the bass and not the amp. The amp would deliver a pure tone. If I need more volume I can always throw a line to the FH.
    This looks like a good deal to me :)
  6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
  7. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    GTA Ontario Canada
    Wow. This thread is 8 years old.
  8. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    What's the problem, so am I.
  9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    That means you joined TB four years before you were born! :D
  10. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I agree and strongly endorse your comments that a relatively small amount of power can go a long way when it's part of a quality signal chain.

However, don't be deceived by knob position as an indication of power from an amplifier. Any amplifier can develop its full power at Master settings less than 100%. Knob position is no way to compare power between two amplifiers. They have different EQ, inherent compression, dynamic response, and gain staging. All of these can make two amps that put out a legitimate 900 watts seem very different.
  11. gndboy

Sep 18, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Sixty watts can be very respectable. The Sunn 200S, originally with a tube rectifier, was rated at sixty watts; it also had like 6dB headroom with a pair of KT88's. The pair of D140 speakers didn't hurt either. But it was rated at sixty watts RMS, and prior to the SVT, was the best bass amp on the planet. A 200S in good operating condition is still quite respectable.

I've monkeyed with my SABDDI into the effects return of a rather pedestrian Vox NT50H amp with a pair of KT77's, and it sounds wonderful through a good 4X10.

I must admit, though, the little SansAmp box is a lot more capable driving a Mackie M1400i. But especially for the studio and restaurant-type gigs, a lower-wattage amp has many virtues.
  12. will33

May 22, 2006
    One of these days, I'm going to spend a day on TB just digging up old threads and responding to them, just to see how long it takes people to notice.