Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone tried the Everman Big Muff mods?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Lurker, Jan 9, 2006.

1. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    http://www.jeverman.com/nybmpmods.html

seems like a pretty thorough remanufacturing of a Muff:

# All transistors upgraded

# Add two new Switchcraft(tm) audio jacks

# Replace stomp switch

# Pedal wired for True-Bypass switching

# Wired with telfon insulated, Silver wicked Copper

# Water Clear LED added (you choose the color)

# Pedal drilled out to accept standard 9V ac-dc power jack

# 1 Meg, 1% metal film pulldown resistor added

# Power filter capacitor added

# Battery clip upgrade

Plus you can get a six position Varitone-looking 'tone stack' knob added

The downside is, it's $120 for all of it, not including the cost of the pedal itself... :( Some of the stuff, like the LED and battery clip, are pretty much not worth it for me, but the true bypass thing and jacks definitely strike me as worth it, and the tone stack thing sounds interesting...

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    jeverman used to do my mods before I did my own.

Nowadays, many of those mods aren't needed. You don't NEED Switchcraft jacks, what EHX uses is fine. And the new ones are already wired true bypass. The LED doesn't affect the tone, and the battery clip is fine if you don't tug on it.

IMO, the ONLY thing worth while is the DC adapter being drilled out, but you can get an adapter for $3.50.

The tone stack IIRC is nothing but a switch that selects a different capacitor for the output cap or something. I guaruntee you'll find one setting and never touch that switch again.

3. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    yeah, the only thing is my Muff isn't one of the newer ones, and it isn't bypassed-- I have to keep it in the loop of an LS2, not that that's much of an inconvenience really.

Perhaps I should just get off my butt and find someone local who can do something similar....