1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone tried the Fender Jazz 24 fret?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eminentbass, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Eminentbass

Eminentbass

Jun 7, 2006
    South Africa
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Amps and Sandberg Basses.
    I'm looking at getting one early next year but I can't find any in my area to try out.

2. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Yeah I played it... Plays nice, sounds OK, not really great.. I don't like the active electronics..
    It looks awesome though!

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    [​IMG]

It's always nice to see an image.

Joe

4. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Nice bridge, neck joint...i would love to grab one and throw some Delano electronics on it.

5. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    [​IMG]

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Plays nice, only it doesn't sound or feel like a Jazz bass.

7. And there you have it. Not only does it not sound like a Jazz bass, but it also does not even sound like a Fender. It also feels... cheap.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Actually the two I played felt pretty darn solid. I couldn't believe it was even made in Indonesia. I would've put it MIM or CIJ even.

9. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I've been playing one for about the last year. Admittedly doesn't sound like a jazz but it can/does sound quite good - and gets a wide range of tones. I'm a big fan - nice active bass for the money. If you're comparing it to $1000+ basses it may disappoint - but compared to other $600-800, I feel like it compares quite favorably.

"the active EQ is a bit of a letdown because it's duncan designed instead of basslines."

ummm...Since Basslines is a Duncan product line, this statement confuses me a bit.

I've run mine EADG with rounds and flats (flats helped it be more jazz-like in tone), ADGC with rounds, through 3 different amps on a regular basis, ranging from 70-300 watts - Fender, Hartke, Mesa-Boogie, and GK. I've EQd it flat, all boosted, bass boosted/treble cut, solo neck pup, solod bridge pup, and combinations of blend. Not all of the sounds were "me" but they all sounded pretty good.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Duncan Designed is the budget brand of pickups by Seymour Duncan and are quite subpar. I've never liked anything Duncan Designed.

11. I've played a couple of these recently. They don't sound exactly like a Jazz. More of a modern vibe going on with them. They seemed to be built well, played well, looked nice and you could get a wide array of tones w/the active electronics. A great buy in my book. I'd recommend them to anyone who loves the feel of a Jazz, needs 24 frets but wants a more versatile, modern tone. Great for fusion and funk!

Also, just checked the Fender website. It doesn't say anything about the PU's being Duncan designed. On the specs it says "Seymour Duncan Basslines". I think they're the real deal. They sounded great to me.

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Is it just me or does that top horn look hideously distended? :eyebrow:

I've never played one, but have always had an interest in trying one. I used to hate jazz basses for not having 24 frets, yet now I've come to love them and accept them as they are.

13. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Looks like it's an issue of the camera angles. There is nothing awkward about the actual shape of the bass. The body shape is streamlined, so it's probably roughly comparable to a Warmoth Dinky J or some of the other smaller J-bass replacement bodies out there.

I had also never heard anything about "Duncan Designed" vs. "Basslines" - but a quick web search backs up the assertion. The pickups are Basslines. The 3-band EQ is "Duncan Designed". Hmmm...I'd never had a problem or complaint about the EQ. Works great for me.

14. JoshD

JoshD

Nov 9, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Personally I like it. Tried it at the Guitar Trader a couple weeks ago-I live near it. I would save a bit more to get a Marcus Miller, though.

15. The pickups are "2 Seymour Duncan® Basslines™ Single-Coil Jazz Bass Pickups", according to the Fender website. I played one at the Bass Centre, nice bass. It didn't hold a candle to the American Deluxe, but then at half the price you wouldn't expect it to, would you?

16. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Personally i like it, it's not my favorite jazz but for that money it's a very good option. True, it doesn't sound exactly like a jazz but i compared it with a MIA jazz deluxe and they sounded very similar, plus the MIA electronics were a lot noisier than the duncan's.

17. Does the pic above scream Sadowsky lookalike or what!

18. you should get the Cort GB74..ideal for putting the Delano Hybrid Set on them

19. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    What! Are you serious? :eyebrow: