1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone Tried The Harley Benton Enhanced Range Yet?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark76, Jan 4, 2019.

1. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I have both a blue jazz/mm 5 and an ash P/MM 5 coming. I'll post about them when they arrive. They've cleared customs on this side of the pond, so it'll be soon. I'll probably do a video.

Attached Files:

Slapthatplank, Nunovsky and Mark76 like this.
  2. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    P

Attached Files:

Mark76 and Nunovsky like this.
  3. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    They both look great.
    I'll look forward for that video.

4. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    These seem to be pretty bold Sandberg copies. I don't have an issue with that, since Sandbergs were hard core Fender copies for a long time. They've just recently tweaked their body shapes to not be dead copies.

Attached Files:

5. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    I posted this in the other thread on these. It's not a review, but Adam IS playing this new bass.

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

a copy of a copy? :D

gebass6 likes this.
  7. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Pretty much. That's why I always think it's funny when folks get upset when cheaper companies copy things like Sadowsky, which are essentially Fender copies.

JRA likes this.
  8. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    I'm impressed that he obviously thinks highly enough of the HB to use it in this lesson.

9. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    That, or it was there. That said, that event was being held at the Warwick factory.... I know he's more of a P bass guy tho.

10. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Why did you use the word"range" when it's not used in the ad?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  11. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Ebony boards, nicer woods, stainless frets. These are sort of the bass version of their fusion pro series guitars, which they've done EXTREMELY well with. While I don't anticipate these being the best basses ever, I bet they will be a very nice bass, at a nice price.

12. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I'm curious about them. Definitely gives us your review when they arrive. Did you get them yet? :D

13. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Left the customs building in Miami four days ago. I'm about 200 miles from there. Given that there hasn't been an update at all, I'm thinking it might show up any minute, or it's vanished. Anything in between those two is also a possibility.

Attached Files:

mouthmw and Bass Man Dan like this.
  14. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    You won't know until you open the box and make an observation. Until then it's in both states at once.

15. raziel4635

raziel4635

Feb 15, 2018
    schroedinger's bass syndrome.

16. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    OK, so the bass arrived. Spoiler alert, I'm definitely keeping it.

First the good:
    Plays great, looks great, sounds great.

The not so good:
    The pickups are not wired such that when the bridge pickup is split, and the pan is centered, that they act as a humbucker. That said, it's not a hugely noisy bass.
    The preamp's HF boost frequency is a tad harsh.

Observations:

When split, you're running the neck coil of the bridge pickup. The fact that it will split says to me that anyone with a soldering iron could wire in a different switch, giving you series/single/parallel, OR north/both/south coils.

Zero fret nitpick. This is one of those things that there is some debate over, so it's not something this bass should lose points for, but the zero fret is a tad high. In my brain, the zero fret should be exactly the same height as the rest of them.

Overall, this is a very nice bass. With some very minor tweaks, possibly including a preamp upgrade, this bass could hang with anything with a similar design. I'll get a video up in the next few days. I'll be gigging this bass this weekend.

TCSS, mouthmw, SlimS and 2 others like this.
  17. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    It is entirely possible that I may drop a Sire preamp in this bass. I happen to have one from a jazz bass.

Nunovsky likes this.
  18. raziel4635

raziel4635

Feb 15, 2018
    this could sound like a weird question but how heavy is it?

I once played a 4 string harley benton,not sure which model...it was one of the cheaper ones, and it felt almost as heavy as my 5 string.

felt definetely heavier than the 4 string yamaha I was using at the time.

19. The PB-20 is the cheapest harley benton,has a poplar body so it's light. The PB-50 has a basswood body and average 9-9.5lb. The JB-75 is ash and just like the 70's Fenders it's modeled on is fairly heavy,most are 12lb.