Anyone tried the Line 6 Pro POD bass and dbx 1066 Compressor/Gate?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by modulusbassist, Aug 20, 2001.

1. I am thinking of getting one. Worth it to the the PRO version or the original POD?

Or any of you tried the dbx 1066 Compressor/Gate?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The POD Pro has a few more outputs than the POD.

Getting a 1066 for an instrument is like breaking peanuts with a sledge hammer. We run our PA through one, and it works great, but good lord, why do you need something that complex for a bass? All's you'd need is level, threshhold, and ratio.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have been using the POD pro for a while. I bought the Pro version because:

1. It has XLR out. In fact, it has a parrallel out. So, I use it as a preamp and send a signal to the board that has the miced cab emulator and one to the power amp that doesn't. When recording, the 1/4" out can be switched over to a straight DI to get that DI/miced blend kind of sound that rocks on tape.

2. It has a switchable line in. So, you can do a process called "reamping." I can take studio tracks and loop them through the POD so as to apply a particular amp model to the track in post production. So you play the track and then decide if the 360 or the SVT sounds cooler with that tune.

2. It has a very accurate automatic tuner built into it.

3. It is is rack mount.

IF you buy a POD pro (I don't know if the regular version has this) you'll have all the compression you need. The compressor in the POD is modeled after the old studio standard LA-2A setup. It is basically a knob the you turn to get more or less compression. If you are tweak freak, you can adjust the ratio and such using a MIDI interface and your PC.

You can do a great deal of tweaking the effects using your PC.

I have every cool sound I ever created in my POD saved to my computer. If I decide I want it in one of my presets, (I have 36 total) I just upload it and there it is.

I wouldn't trade my POD for anything. I bought it because I do a lot of work with just a PA (no amps) and it is perfect for that. But I started using it as a preamp and am very happy.