1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone tried the Markbass Super Booster yet?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bongomania, Oct 8, 2009.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Yes, I tried it. Filters are strictly identical to the ones you find on the amps.
    The clean boost is, well, a boost, nothing special to expect there.
    It works very nicely and the price is right. Not much to say about it.

Driven Crane likes this.
  3. Whats the footprint? (maybe I missed it on the page somewhere)

Whats the range of the boost?

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    About 5.5" front to back, about 4" wide.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I'm highly interested in it, in my quest to find a DI that does good speaker emulation so I can send a good distorted tone FOH.

I've tried to search the Markbass threads but didn't come up with anything regarding the VLE and fuzz. This is my subtle attempt to try and drag out such opinions and experiences of those that might be in the proverbial know.

6. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    It works on 12V... :atoz:

7. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Outside of the Gain and Master, the VLE is the only knob I use on my LMII. If you want to be able to tame the top-end of your dirt, the VLE will do it. I keep mine at about noon, which still allows all the bite I want, but cuts out a lot of clank and squeak. In other words, if cutting out harshness from a fuzzed-up signal is what you want, it'll do the jorb, letting you attenuate the top-end to your liking.

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Question, answer, solution. Cheers.

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Does the DI out sound identical to the DI out from the LMII?

10. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i dont think its going to be identical, but probably close- the trend seems to be the pedals are almost identical to the amps. but theres no EQ section (but its usually flat on the amps anyway..) on the pedal.

IMO this is probably going to be a great roadworthy DI- leave the VLE and VPF at 9:00 and you've got a clean markbass sound DI box. as it is i love the DI on my SD800 and LMII.

11. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

I've been looking for a pedal that could offer what the VLE can deliver and it has a DI to boot. Cool.

12. shrigg

shrigg Joy Decision Bassist/BL, AudioKinesis Beta Tester Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Traverse City, MI
    I want!!! And a worthy DI to boot!

13. just got it. it's nice.

14. Gdub1

Gdub1

Aug 8, 2010
    my 2 cents.

I wasn't looking for this pedal to be used as a DI, but rather as a booster pedal/EQ for a tube amp. In this sense I found this boost to be pretty horrible. I play a fender through an SVT Classic and I like to push the preamp to have some extra distortion. For this purpose the super booster made my bass sound really boring. Maybe it was my mistake to think that it may be good for this. Regardless, it sounded like the boost cuts out some of the treble. If you like sounding "thumpy" then you might like the boost, but if you like a little clarity in your bass sound you may be unhappy. Furthermore I think the boost is a little weak. The VPF and VLE seem like amp emulators, which would be good for DI and if you want a good DI box I'm not sure why anyone would buy this seeing as the sansamp Bass Driver DI is far superior and has models where you can have multiple settings. In terms of boosts, at the moment I am still sold on the Electro Harmonix Linear Power Boost. This pedal is both cheap and simply boosts your signal in a much more powerful way without any coloring. Only downside is that there is no EQ capabilities. I've heard good things about older Danelectro boosts, which have EQ setting ability. I have that new Way Huge Angry Troll on the way too, which I have a feeling will be pretty cool. In either case the super booster dissapointed me and if I was going to DI I would just use my sansamp.

15. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I think the general market for the device is MB amp users. I though for a while how useful it would be to remotely kick in and out the two filters from a pedal. A lot of MB amp users hardly touch the eq and shape their sound with just these two filters. I find them to be very versatile. The VLE works wonders on cleaning and warming up a clanky, sterile sounding bass. and the VPF can take you from old school mids to scooped disco fatness without drastic volume changes.

One could argue that the filters are amp sim in nature and sure the Sansamp work as an amp sim too. But believe it or not, there's quite a few people who dislike the Sansamp tone (me for one) and like the MB filters.

Personally I leave the filters on my LMII head in one position. Set and forget, but I can see how other people would like the option of kicking them in and out for different tones. Plus it's a neat way of getting that MB sound out front if the amp's DI can't be used for some reason, or the amp fails.

16. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    When you say the booster cuts out the treble, you don't have the VLE at noon do you? A common mistake for people new to Markbass is to put all the knobs at noon including the VLE and VPF, then wonder why it sounds crap.

17. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Perhaps there should be a sticky in the amps and effect forums called 'Read the frickin manual before posting'.

18. I kinda want this now that I know what it does.

19. FuManChu

FuManChu

Mar 3, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Mine is sitting on my doorstep right now, very anxious to get out of work and head home. I play a Geddy Lee Bass into a Sansamp RPM and use a GK MB2-500 as a power amp into a GK212 Neo cab. I am hoping to get some great Mark Bass fullness with the filters from this pedal added to my existing sound. Kind of a hybrid Markamp or SansBass, best of both worlds.

20. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    [edit] Not sure my experiences were valid--I'm discovering my setup was a bit weird. Will update when I've experimented more.