Anyone tried the MTD Kingston?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1964, May 13, 2002.

1. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
  2. I just got a Kingston5 string last week and its great.The neck plays very easily even though it's wide towards the bridge and it has a great B-string.The tone is clear and deep but it only has a volume and one tone knob like a p bass.Do a search on Kingston and you can get lots of other opinions.
  3. richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    I was very skeptical. But after actually playing one I think it is the best value under $500--active or not.
  4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    to beat a dead horse.

i LOVE my kingston fretless 5.

and believe me, i've played some of the best basses around.

my K5 is what i wake up to every morning.

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    what can i say? i LOVE the Kingstons- they play like butter. I f you want an active eq sound- the laklands come that way already, but if you add a pre to a Kingston, i think the Lakland would be very nervous, indded- check out for short samples of both basses- peace!- Adrian
  6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    don't tell mom!

i'll attest to that statement. he was a BIG help with my K5 neck mod!!!

what a trooper!

7. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I don't know anything about the Lakland Skyline, but I own a Kingston and really enjoy it. I'm planning on getting a tortoise shell pickguard cut for it, as well as changing the bridge and tuners to chrome for that retro look. And an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp installed would do the trick as well.
  8. I was very seriously considering buying a Kingston Heir 5-string and dropping in a pre- (Bart.), but I saw a Grendel on auction on eBay and SCOOOORED! for $800, not much more than it would have cost for the Heir, plus a preamp.

FWIW, there's currently a Beast up for auction (similar to Grendel, but passive).

Anyway, to answer your question, I can't speak to the tone of the K5, but the body is nicely balanced and the neck is the best I have ever played by far (not exactly saying a lot as I'm pretty new to this still) but I am a very happy MTD customer. The only upgrade I'd consider is a 535.
  9. Hey Artisan! Where you gettin' you're tortoise shell guard?
  10. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    Thanks guys.

I will clarify my initial post.

I'm considering a MTD Kingston 4-string against the likes of the Lakland Skyline 44-02 and the Skyline Bob Glaub. I know they're pretty different, but the Kingston is likely a lot cheaper than the others, so my points of comparison - essentially excluding pups and electronics - are quality of materials and construction, feel and playability.

No matter what option I choose, I’m going to have to import, sight unseen.
  11. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    ...I'm hoping for something that is *much* better than an OLP Stingray copy.
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Better? The OLP isn't even in the same building as the K5...heck, the same country.
  13. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    bassdr, I came across WD Music Products for the idea of the pickguard. You have to send in a tracing of the pickguard and tell them what kind of tortoise shell material you need (there's at least three different types) and they'll reply with an estimate. There's also a guitarist/technician that I know who might be able to cut a new guard as well.
  14. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    Thanks Josh!

Any more opinions?
  15. I've never played a Lakland, but I can say that the MTD neck is one of the sweetest I've ever played.

I've read that the Lakland neck is fairly chunky, but I've not played it, so I can't vouch one way or the other.

All the basses you listed are pretty sweeet.
  16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If (goddess forbid) a financial emergency befalls me and I am forced to liquidate my phancy basses, I would be happy to "settle" for a Kingston 5 as my #1 bass. I'm very impressed with 'em.
  17. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    The K5 is sweet, love the way it plays. Has a good passive growl too. Great string spacing and a killer B to boot. It's got it all in that price range, for the same money, nothing else can touch it.
  18. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I just bought a K4 (from Ryan Morris :) ), and it is pretty nice. I haven't played anything else in that price range lately ($300, used) but I'd bet a lot that it's better than most/all of them.

It certainly doesn't make my Hanewinckel worry however! :) Thoughts about the K4 (keep in mind what I'm used to, a heavy-ish custom neck-through six):

- light and resonant
    - pretty low action
    - frets seem kind of dinky?
    - sounds good, has the basic MM tone. Without the preamp though, it takes some off-board EQ to make the real Stingray bite come through
    - very well made, almost everything is tight and in good shape. One of the tuners is a bit wiggly and they're all not super-smooth. Tone control is scratchy. But remember this is used, so I don't know how it came from the factory.

If the LB75 I had two years ago is any indication of the way Carvins are now, the K4 is on par. I'd say it would give an LB20 a run for the money, at half the price.
  19. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    Thanks geshel!