Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried the new Fostex MR-8?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bob C, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I saw this in the latest musician's friend catalog. It is designed to compete with the Boss BR-532.

It's called an 8 track, but four of them are mostly for bouncing and mixing to stereo.

Has 128MB card and power supply included, for $100 less than the Boss recorder.

No built in mic or drum tracks, though.

I don't work for Fostex, the Friend or anything like that. I'm buying a 4 track soon, and I'd really like to know whether this thing is solid, or if it's cheesey.

Any reviews yet?

Bob

2. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I guess I was wrong about a couple things: the MR-8 DOES have a built in mic and 8 playback tracks (if you send them to your PC, or whatever).

No virtual tracks, like the Boss/Roland stuff though.

Anybody actually seen this thing yet?

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    nope have'nt seen it...but fostex makes some good stuff for the price, with some nice features. The boss seems way too user friendly:D

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i was just looking at these.

[​IMG]

looks pretty cool.

i'm only needing a digital sketch pad. don't really need all the other bells and whistles.

its got USB, SPDIF, records 2 inputs simultaneously.

perfect for my guitarist and me to record ideas.

and at $299!!!! OY!

f

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    oops, i went to check on the fostex...

and came home with a BR-1180!

f