Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried the new Gotoh tuners?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'm especially interested in the GB350 and even more so in the 720.
    The GB350 is only 35 gramms, making it even lighter than the Hipshot Ultralite (44 gramms) - meanwhile it has fully sealed gears.
    There's also the GB720, which is supposed to be teh lighter-weight version of the GB7 (it also has aluminium shaft and plated plastic button, like the 350), but I couldn't find much info about it's weight so far. It also costs about half what the GB350 goes for (... never thought I'd spend so much on tuners...) so being as broke as I am now, I'd be quite happy to be able to save those couple of bucks for the finishing of my bass. If they are under 50 gramms, I'm game.
    So anyone ever seen them?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Frank, you would think that Gotoh had a web?

I have never found a site for them....

4. I noticed that too.. I've been googlin' for some info on these tuning machines, but not really coming up with much.

Aluminum shaft? I've never seen these, but I'd be nervous about the strength of those. I had a Gotoh machine's shaft break on me last year, and I wasn't tuning any higher than standard.
    Any special reason you're wanting to go "ultra-lite" with your machines?

Mag...

5. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Gotoh's near "official" site is allparts.com. They have more info about Gotoh products than anyone else.

6. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :meh:
    Makes the decision between GB720, GB350 and Hipshot Ultralite even harder...

8. Before that machine snapped on me, I honestly believed that one could never break. I don't think a Fender-type could ever break like that.
    I think it's the fact that machines are being made much smaller these days, and that lower quality metals are being used.
    I'll bet that those aluminum ones have a larger and stronger post. It would have to be.

Mag...

9. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, it's their distributor's web site, but unfortunately it doesn't have any detailed information, and doesn't lead anywhere...

The other link I posted has the details, but it's in Japanese.

10. Do you know a place to order on-line those new tuners? I've just e-mailed both hosco and cocosound and didn't have a reply yet.

I need bloody light tuners and I wish those are not very costly..

11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I didn't get a reply, either...

Maybe try this place:
    http://www.coco-sound.com/gotoh_n/bpegindex.html

GB350s are 35 gramms, but are quite expensive (there's a price list on the site).
    Hipshot Ultralites are 44 gramms. The best price I've found for them so far is $22 for the blacks - it was IIRC $20 for chrome.

Shipping will be an issue, though...

12. Eureka! Here is the pricelist for 350. I'll end by reading japanese I guess :D GB350 prices

1 US$ = 114.69 JPY
    So you can make the calculations.
    One piece, black (color code CK), GB350 is $30.5; golden is $34

One piece, black, GB720 is $28 (well it changes a little with the number you get, those are approx. prices)

Any TB'er from Japan to help us understand that page?

13. Shipping is always an issue for me ALWAYS ALWAYS :bawl:

I pay almost 2 or 3 times(or even more) more for the shipping, handling, customs taxes, additional fees etc. compared to most TB'ers here.

So in fact to place an order from the states, from Germany, from Japan or from Madagascar doesn't make a big difference for me, it always costs a lot. :crying:

6 pieces of GB350 costs
    30.5 x 6 = $183 (I can buy an SX bass for this money :D )
    + god knows how much for the shipping (I can upgrade the stock SX PU's to Dimarzio's :D ) OK maybe I should do this :p

14. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Week-after bump.

Then how's about this:
    Gotoh GB720 vs Hipshot Ultralite.

And: where's the best place to get Hipshots? Seen them for sale in 3 stores, with quite varying prices....

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Still heavier than Sperzel and no locking system. :(