Anyone tried the new Hartke 2100/220 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CYoung, Jun 26, 2002.

1. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I am in the process of evaulating options for upgrading to a better bass amp unit. I have tried a few Hartke cabs and really liked their sound. Have any of you tried the new 2100/2200 series cabs? What were your impressions of the sound?

I am very surprised by the Hartke cabs I have tried so far. The bass response exceeds what I would expect from even their smaller cabs.

I am toying with the idea of my new rig being a Hartke 3500 series head with a 2200 cab. Comments?
  2. Hi:
    I tried them in a music store and they certainly have a great sound to them.
    What i didn't like about them was a)-they were larger than i had hoped for a smaller cab and b) they were proportionally heavy for smaller cabs.
    I have a 3500 w/ a 1X15 cab and a 2X10 cab all Hartke. IMO this size equipment is transportable in the back of my car and i can carry them (albeit) in pieces.

The handles on the 2100/2200 are in a good place, and the casters help for rolling around, and its still manageble to carry (between 65-75lbs), but i found them a little too much.
    What was real nice about them was the sound. The ports were all larger and better tuned than the cabs i have, and the cabs themselves were interesting w/ the off axis projection of sound. They have a nice compression driver for some mid-high end. Great concept.
    Have you tried them yet?, say in comparion to a single Hartke 4.5 cab or a 1 X15 W/ a 2X10 cab? I really like the 4.5 cabs and they are durable, have that great hartke sound, and are right at my weight limit of carrying stuff
  3. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Hmm, thaks for the input. Here is my dilemma: I tried a Hartke combo in a pawn shop the other day. It had a 3500 head and a 410TP cab. I know the TP cabs are not as good as the regular cabs, but I was still blown away by the solid bass and clean sound. I am pretty warm on the 3500 series head, but debating whether to get the 2200 cab or the 410BXL cab. Unfortunately, it would be a 2-4 hour drive to try either of these cabs, assuming the Sam Ash in Tampa or Jacksonville (FL) had them!

If this was your rig, which would you go for? {subjective opinions and input encouraged here}
  4. Hey:
    totally subjective opinion for sure......
    Not sure what to tell you except if you can find the XL hartke cabs go w/ them over the transporter series (TP). The TP series is a entry level version of their cabs. The XL cabs have heavier bodies, bigger magnets in the speakers, and are more solid. My setup have taken almost 10yrs of abuse and I thank hartke for making the boxes so sturdy.
    I have the a 2 X10 XL (i wish hartke had made the 2.5 back then) and a 115 BXL.
    You might really consider just a 4.5Xl ($550)and the 3500 head, this 4 X 10 cab really sounds great, really punchy. If I were to buy some new Hartke stuff this would be the next choice.
    I would get in my car and drive to sam ash, according to their website they have 2200/2100 ($570) 4.5Xl, and just aboyt most of hartkes stuff, but call them first to ensure it. I would bring your bass and play thru the cabs, try em out, you might like something else instead.
    If you like the hartke sound these cabs really do it
    my opinion
  5. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Hmm, I think I am just going to have to make a trip to Sam Ash in Tampa and try the cabs out for myself. I notice the 4.5XL has the tweeter and the 410BXL does not; that appears to be the difference. Do you prefer the cabs w/tweeter?
  6. Hi:
    I really like the 4.5xl threefold. 1)the cab is beefier, the woods stronger, and slightly heavier (than a 410Xl), 2)the tweeter fills in nice mid-highs 3)- the cab is ported differently than a 410xl. It sounds deeper, more punchy.
    Call them first...make sure they have one in stock
    good luck