1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone tried the new Mullard 12ax7s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basey, Jul 29, 2007.

1. basey

basey

Jul 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    I was looking around on the net for some 12ax7s to try in my DB750. After changing from the stock to some JJs I noticed a pretty big difference.
    But really liked the sound of the Tung-Sol reissues in my old Mesa 400+.
    I think New Sensor is now putting out a Mullard reissue. Has anyone tried these yet? I'm wondering how they stack up against the Tung Sols.
    The Groove Tube reissue Mullards were quite a disappointment.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bruce

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Just ordered some 12ax7's for my Demeter and was wondering the same thing. From what I understand there are 1 or more boutique guitar amp companies backing these tubes and taking part in testing and what not. They are supposed to be smokin' by their standards.
    Not having any real $$ to spend I went with Tesla gold pins, haven't put them in yet but I'm excited to get rid of the Rubies I had to put in on an emergency basis.

3. basey

basey

Jul 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Thanks LowPhatBass. You wouldn't know which companies would you? Anybody else have any hands on experience with them yet? or are they too new?

4. basey

basey

Jul 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Well, I finally got a chance to try the new Mullard in my DB750.
    I ordered 3 preamp tubes from Tube Depot: 1 New Sensor Tung-Sol reissue 12ax7,1 New Sensor Mullard reissue 12ax7, and 1 JAN GE 12ax7a. I already had 1 GT 12ax7-m, 3 JJ 12ax7s, and the origional 3 Aguilar branded Sovtek 12ax7wa's.
    Though I'm not a tube wiz by any means, Here's what I thought of them.

The new issue Mullard is a pretty thick sounding tube, Although it has better highs than the Sovtek wa tubes, they were a bit harsh and not very musical. The mids were very full and even sounding, and the low end was quite full as well. Overall the output seemed higher with it. It's a pretty good tube, I'd say its better than the JJ's but the bottom is a little bit boomy, or pillowy. But, if you like that real fat bottom vintage sound, or are trying to warm up a sterile amp I'd say this tube is the one for you.

For me, new issue Tung-Sol was the winner. It sounded great in my 400+ and it sounds great in the DB750. Nice smooth articulate high end and nice midrange with a darker sounding low frequency that is quite tight. It has its own tone going for it. I recognized it as soon as I heard it. It helps with the low B cosiderably.

As for the JAN GE 12ax7a, It is a nice round sounding tube that has very little noise. The frequencies seem really well balanced. I didn't like it as much as the Tung Sol but it was a close second. It just didn't have the same shimmer on the top end. I ended up putting it in V2.

I tried, literaly, every possible combination of tubes in every socket. Including the Sovteks and the JJs, and in the end I decided on the tung sol in v1, the Jan in V2, and surprisingly enough I put the GT Mullard reissue in v3. (I'm glad I didn't through it accross the room like I originally wanted to):D

The JJs are a huge step up from the Sovteks that were in it. But I can clearly hear the difference between the JJs and the tubes I just described. (well worth the extra $5 or $6 per tube IMO)

This may be more info than anybody wanted, but maybe it'll help someone decide which lower priced tube to try.

BTW the equiptment I was using was a 5 string jazz bass with Bassline stacked humbuckers. an Aggie db750, and an 8x10 cab. I played at least at stage volume in a jam shack lovingly referred to as 'The Meth Lab'.

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Very cool review! Thanks man!