Anyone tried the NS bass cello yet?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dragonlord, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    There is an identical thread in the EUB forum, but since this instrument can be played either as cello or as a normal 34" 5 string fretless electric it would probably make more sense to ask in a BG forum (plus I know many here don't visit the DB forums, so..).
    The url to see the NS bass cello is this:

I'm very interested to know how this sounds, if it's comfortable to play as a fretless (because of the arched fingerboard), whether average BG strings sound good bowed (it normally has custom made daddario strings, especially designed for it) etc.

2. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I played one at the NAMM show while getting Mr. Steinberger to sign my bass. I preferred the regular EUB. The cello just didn't feel comfortable as a bass guitar to me--not enough body, and the arch was a bit too extreme for comfortable BG style playing.
    It sounded great, though. If I were bent on playing it, I'm sure with practice it would start to feel more natural.

EDIT: By sounding great, I meant it sounded like a pizzicato cello or bass, depending on how the tone knobs were set. It most definitely did not sound like a fretless BG, and I'm not sure you could make it sound like one, either. Dancing about architecture, though :) Your mileage may vary.
  3. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I just won one on ebay a couple of days ago and I'd like to share my enthusiasm :D
    I'll post more comments when I receive it (it has a long trip from USA to Greece...). Cost me $2166 with shipping.
  4. Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    looks and sounds very promising
  5. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i have played a couple of them and really like them. i wouldnt use it to replace a bass guitar though.
  6. cpach

Feb 28, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I tried one out for a short while at Gelb Music. I asked Ed about it and he let me try it, even though he knew there was no way in hell I'd be buying one anytime soon.

I play fretless bass and cello, so I was kind of interested. Unfortunately, I didn't have my bow, so I couldn't really check out it's arco tones.

Played pizzicato, it had a really nice, sweet, voice. I didn't really manage to get an upright bass sound, and I considered this a plus. It has a really cool solidbody fretless like sound, with lots of sustain, and really sweet.

The strap system sort of works, but is kind of awkward. They didn't have the tripod system, so I mostly played it between my knees like a baroque cello. Felt pretty comfortable to play in an upright position, I bet with the stand it'd be really nice.

Too bad it costs more than my acoustic cello ;)