Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried the Sansamp TRI-AC with bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andreas_bass, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Hi!
    I'm looking for a good distortion pedal to my setup. Right now I'm playing with a Sansamp BD and a Boss Line Selector to blend clean and dirty signals together. It works good but now I'm leaning toward the TRI-AC because of the mid pot and the programability. Anyone tried the TRI-AC?
    Thankful for any opinion.

Andreas

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, I bought one for recording guitar direct, but it works very well for bass also. The cool thing is that you can dial in three different settings, very nice in a live situation.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bliss, the Tri-AC has caught my eye, too - my predilection for SA/T21 products is well known here. I love my RBI, but would sure like the ease of footstomp OD.

I'm sure it does mild OD about like my RBI (nicely), but how wild and furry does it get? And how easy or hard is it to record new settings? I'm concerned about blowing a program by accident while switching.

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    The double click required to save is a VERY fast one, so it's unlikely that you'd do it by accident. As far as it's ability to get to get wild, you can easy reach a full metal fury with this thing! It does everything in between as well. I've converted my guitar player already.

5. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    Hey --

I got the manual from Tech 21, and it looks like there's only one out that's 1/4". So how would I hook it to the PA if it required a XLR jack? get a DI?

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    yep, you would need an adapter to go from 1/4" to xlr, though I've never seen a mixer, powered or otherwise, that didn't have a 1/4" in.

7. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    Me either, but in some PA setups (mainly in the church I play at, at home), they have a snake, which is all XLR inputs. Its not a big deal though, I have a couple of TRS-> XLR adapters as it was for some other things I have. That should work...

Thanks for the info...

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    You know, I didn't think of that. My drummer's has 1/4", but most do not. Interestingly enough, or maybe not, my drummer got his snake from Pat Benetar. We figure we can't help but make it big with that gear in our set-up.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Does she know he has it?

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, he was working at some venue or another in Mass. that she played.