1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone tried the short-scale Roto Swing Bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by matante, Aug 15, 2012.

1. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The gauges look very light (40-50-75-90) and a little wacky. I'm wondering what the deal is with these.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    When the scale length of the instrument changes, the tension changes...

A .125 at "Long Scale" is 31.4 lb/in while a .125 at "Extra Long Scale" is 35.2 lb/in

Rotosound does not release their string tensions but the set is made to what their ideal tension across strings is on a short scale. I've played it before and it does not feel all over the place or anything like that..

3. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Thanks. I'm going to give these a go.

4. DavyR

DavyR Supporting Member

May 29, 2011
    The gauges of this set do seem wachy especially if the tension of a given length INCREASES as the scale length INCREASES for a given string. The logic would be that a short scale set of a given string would have to be heavier to attain a given tension, right?

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    To have the same tension as a long scale 45-105 set then yes the short scale would need to have heavier gauges.

But, not all short scales are made to take heavier gauges and usually ship with lighter gauges. I don't know why their set has lighter over all tension, but thats what they were looking for when they designed the set. Probably for a clearer sounding instrument rather than a short scale that sounds too woooley?

6. DavyR

DavyR Supporting Member

May 29, 2011
    Thanks! Good points.

I wish Rotosound did have a Swing 66 medium scale set with at least a E = 95. I've forced the long scale Swing 66 set with an E = 105 onto a Hofner for 15 years!

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Used them on my doubleneck ebo/sg bass back in the 70's. Very nice.