Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried the Skyline 44-02?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bottomdweller, Oct 5, 2002.

1. I figured with the rash of Lakland threads, I needed to get in on the action. ;)

No, really... I've been really busy lately(playing,rehearsing,working,being a Dad,husband) and didn't notice that Lakland had done the Skyline 4-string. (will there be a 44-01?) I might have to go out and get one soon. I'm just wondering if it has a Jazz style neck? Is it pretty similar to the 55-01 in construction,etc.? I like the Jazz sound(growl,etc.) and neck,but I'm not a huge Fender fan for some reason. I like Laknads alot,but can't afford one. I love the way Sterlings play,but I like Jazz pickups. Anyway,just sitting here and NOT playing this weekend and wishing I was...

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have one coming. I also have it modifed from the stock configuration. I am getting a natural/maple fretboard one with upgraded Basslines pickups and an added black pickguard (Lakland design). They are doing the upgrades at the Lakland factory. Once I get it, I'll post pictures and a review.

-KB

3. Yup. Spend a bit of time on one at the factory a couple weeks back.

The 44-02's neck is slightly wider at the nut than a Jazz neck - 1/10" to be precise. Construction quality is the same - standards are pretty high.

Lakland makes several Skyline fours - there's the 44-02, the Joe Osborn (passive Jazz clone with Lindy Fralins), Bob Glaub (p-bass clone also with Fralins), Jerry Scheff (looks like a 44-02 but has KA lipstick pickups) and there are two more about to go into production - a Darryl Jones Jazz clone (Aero pickups, neck binding and block inlays) and a Duck Dunn p-bass that looks like it might make production.

As a matter of fact the only Skyline that hasn't completely blown me away is the 55-01 - but even that's one hell of a lot of bass for the money.

4. I am thinking of getting a Deluxe 44-02 in three tone sunburst/maple. Or possibly natural maple. What about the Basslines uprade. How different are they than the Barts? Hmmm,interesting. I thinking hard about this. Thanks...

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    There is some info on the basslines vs. barts debate on the Lakland website. There are also some samples of bart equiped lakalnds around on the net (www.access-bass.com and a few other places I found). Basslines are typically more aggresive sounding and barts have a more complex mid-range. I thought long and hard before making the decision to go with basslines. I hope I made the right choice :)

-KB