Anyone tried the Snarling Dogs Bootsy wah/fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RunBeerRun, Feb 2, 2006.

1. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003

Did I do that image tag right?

I'm going to try one of these out sometime soon.
  2. and it is....OK

you can get some cool sounds from it, but the build quality is HORRIBLE. Feels like a tank, but has ****e inside. 3 days, and I had to re-solder the led leads. It is true you can wah a Low B, but you have to set the sweep to "low".

It has 3 sweep ranges, low, mid, high. I play at mid most of the time.

The built in fuzz is OK, really twitchy to keep consistent volume with dry, wah, and wah-fuzz. I use both a passive SC 4-string, and an active SC/HH 5 string. The placement of the switch for the fuzz is novel, and is not that difficult once you get used to it.

I think that the fuzz is cool, but it would be better to have a different effect. What effect I do not know. But between the volume of the wah, the volume of the fuzz, and the amount of gain in the fuzz, it is /seriously/ hard to dial in. This is compounded by the fact that the dials are on the side, and they will get knocked around. The smallest movement of the dial (like 1 degree) has such radical effects on volume that the dials are fairly useless.

Others have mentioned the placement of the power jack -- it sucks. I have a godlyke powerall, and it powers it fine, but the jack sleeve (on the daisy chain) is too long, or the female end on the wah is set too far back from the housing. I have to have the daisy chain male end sleeve _flush_ with the housing of the wah. The slightest movement will disconnect the power, and then kill your chain. It happened live. It sucked. Maybe that is why they want you to buy their psu, it has a long male end? (technically correct, but sounds wierd). They should put the female end on the top of the wah, and move it closer to the housing like every other pedal ever. (generalization, but man their placement SUCKS)

I dig the sounds I can get, but it is not worth the hassle.
  3. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Interesting. Have you played through their Bawl Buster? Just wondering how they compare.
  4. as far as i know, the bootsy IS the bawl buster, but with a fuzz too.
  5. But it does look really cool, my mates were jealous, but secretly I am jealous of my guitarist's weeping demon.

strike that, the bootsy looks REALLY cool, but the crowd will not see the coolness, it looks sic from the top down. I think Snarling Dogs has great ideas, but they could stand to implement their ideas differently.

words can not describe teh suck that is the power and knobs on this thing
  6. ahh, another thing that bugs me--

as with most true bypass switches, the first time you engage the effect (off to on) there is a 'pop'. it bad-like-my-amp-is-hurting pop. there is an even nastier pop when you change the sweep range while powered up.

the switch always pops, but the on/off only pops if it has been resting in the off position for a while. I think it is bad placement of some caps in both cases. I can work around the wah on/off, I just switch it on and then off at beginning of set, and whenever I get a chance in between.

there is no way around the switch but to mute, or switch when the drummer hits a crash.

I am going to brush up on my ee to try and mod this thing
  7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Ahhh, that's what I was getting at - thanks.
    Bummer they didn't do a better job with it.
  8. you said it!

Anyone else have a wah that works well with a 'B'? Thats why I wahnted this one.
  9. benevan

May 2, 2002
    I agree. I think they have the coolest wah housings out there and the glowing dog eyes are just too cool. Too bad the implementation is so poor.
  10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Snarling Dogs wahs are indeed poorly built. Cheap parts, poor soldering connections.
  11. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    Ya, I've owned 4 Mold Spores and 3 Erogenous Moans, I know they break. I plan on buying the 2-year Musicians's Friend warranty(that one pays for shipping back for repairs), which will kick in after the 1-year Snarling Dogs warranty expires.

I hope its cool!
  12. Has anyone had stuff break other than switches, jacks and soldering connections?

The reason I ask is that if you're handy with a soldering iron (and you can be with 15 minutes practice), you can replace those switches with high quality ones. The best 3PDT stomp switches have gotten much more affordable in recent years (about $6 apiece from Aron's Stompbox Forum, for instance).

In other words, switches and jacks wear out anyway. You can do the upgrade yourself in a few minutes. No use throwing the baby out with the bath water.:bawl:
  13. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    The problem I had with my 3 early-production Mold Spores was that the ring modulator would just die and produce noise.

My new one never broke.
  14. What else is there to break on a pedal?! (yah, pots, housing,....?)

I am not throwing mine out, because I can not afford another pedal, and the warranty has expired. But new pedals should not have so many problems for this price level (they're not upper tier, but they are not the $25 special either).

At least I have a slick housing to mod once the pedal really craps out.