anyone tried the SWR 750x?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KB, May 10, 2002.

1. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Has anyone tried (or does anyone own) the SWR 750x (the one with the built in effects?). Is the amp sound/quality at least the same as the regular bass 750? Are the effects any good?
    is SWR going to stop making the regular Bass 750?
    Let me know your thoughts.

2. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I would like to know also,
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Hope not. That would be a real mistake and a shame. To each his own but built-in effects in a bass amp are like cow horns on a harley, IMO. Not only unnecessary, just plain wrong! :p

The Bass 750 is a great amp, BTW. Haven't heard the X.
  4. atlas

Feb 13, 2002
    I don't think they are shipping yet
  5. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    a quick bump for more opinions
  6. They are definately shipping. I was in a GC and they had a 350x. Although i appologize, i didn't try it, it was before i had recieved by DB750 and they had a DB359, so i needed to fill my Aguilar gas.
  7. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Any updates from anyone yet? from looking around at places that sell stuff on the net it looks like SWR may be stopping production on the Bass750 in favor or the 750x. Both are still listed on the SWR website, but most of the typical places only list the 750x.

I think I want to sell my carvin R600 and upgrade to the SWR 750 (bass or x model) but I don't really need the x features. Can anyone compare the SWR 750 sound to the carvin R600?
    Any thoughts?

8. R600 vs. Bass 750

I don't know about the 750x, but I do own the 750 and R600. While I do like the compressor and unlimited EQ on the R600, I absolutely love the 750. Tone wise, the R600 has a decent warm sound no matter what the EQ, but by no means as clean or powerful as the 750.

I never could seem to get different tones out of the R600, even with all the available EQ. Headroom was also a serious issue for me. Any active bass I used on it had to have the gain down to at least
    -3 to prevent clipping, even in the active input.

I guess after using such a complex head it was a great change of pace to use a amp that took little to make it sound good. I also have a lot of headroom on the 750 using a very hot Sterling. Then again YMMV. :D
  9. dfarr

Feb 9, 2001
    Lakeland, FL
    I purchased a 750 about a month ago as a "closeout" at, which indicated to me that SWR is discontinuing it in favor of the 750X. Either that or is planning to carry just the 750X and not the basic 750.
  10. JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    Have any of you thought about asking SWR themselves? From what I read, it seems they are incorporating the Mo Bass features into more marketable (lower priced) amps. It wouldn't surprise me if they did discontinue the "basic" 750/350 models.

I own a SM400, since replaced by the SM400S and the SM500, but they're basically the same amps as the SM400, just with new nameplates. (I love my SM400, BTW - killer tones!)

It's an industry standard to change name plates to increase sales. It's a business move, that's all.
  11. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I wonder if the effects on the 750x model are any good. I already have an OD and I'm not sure I need the suboctave. Anyone have any insight as to the quality of the 750x effects? I assume they are the same (or close to the same) as the Mo-bass. I am just concerned that they will be too gimiky and not really quality. Let me know if you have any insight or have actually tried the x model.

12. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Well I think I am leaning towards the 750x model. I sent and email to SWR and recently checked thier website and they ARE getting rid of the bass750 (and bass350 model) in favor of the x models. They told me that the x model is exactly the same as the regular bass750, but just the the added effects.

Now I just need thoughts on how the 750x (or bass 750) would sound with my two Aguilar GS112 cabinets. Has anyone mixed a SWR head with Aguilar cabs?

I am hoping Gard can hook me up next week with a sweet deal :)

13. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Well I went with the regular bass750 as I don't really need the effects of the 750x (I have a nice OD already). Gard hooked me up with a good deal. I'll have to see how it sounds when it gets here later this week.

14. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    talking to yourself much?:p

i actually wanted to know what the 750x sounded like too... well i hope you like the normal 750