Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried this before? Do you think that it can work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassPulsar, Apr 8, 2003.

1. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone tried to use this SoundBlaster speakers set to play bass.
    I would plug my bass into my Line6 BassPOD and then to this speakers. I just want something to play in my bedroom, but it must not colour the sound so that the POD can shine (if he is capable!!! ;) ). This particular set in the foto has the following characteristics:
    - 8 watts per sattelite
    - 19 watts subwoofer
    - 30 to 40 Hz frequency range.

Thank you all!

[​IMG]

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Theoretically it's no problem. I use a Kennwood amp with Sony speakers with no problems.

But I'm always a bit dubious concerning the quality of Creative Labs gear, and the power handling capabilities you mention are not very reassuring.

I definitely recommend testing it before you buy.

3. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    First of all I would like to thank you for your reply.
    Sorry to bother you, but I have some doubts:
    Why are you dubious about the quality of Creative labs gear?
    Do you think that the power handling capabilities are not sufficient for a bedroom?
    Can you suggest something else?

Once again, thanks!

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ok, I should have clarified this, I base my experience on their soundcards.

5. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    ;)

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I play direct into the mic in of my *cough*onboard sound*cough* which is piped thru a set of Yamaha 2.1 speakers sometimes. loud enough to practice, great for playing along and learning tunes from CD or MP3. I actually gave my Peavey MicroBass to my bro-in-law because the Yamaha's sounded better (amazing low 'B' thru the sub).

For guitar I play my J-Station thru the computer line in then thru the Yamaha's with good results

(also... I wouldn't buy a Creative product either. I had bad experiences with the sound cards in the past AND I had a creative burner stop reading disks earlier then it ever should have failed. My in-laws just bought a $20 set of creative speakers (no subwoofer) for their Comcrap. They have next to no bass response)

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Heh, I tried something similar to this a few weeks ago...

I plugged my 200w Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers (http://www.klipsch.com/products/productdetail.asp?id=76&line=promedia) into the headphone jack of my amp using an adapter. It actually sounded pretty good, I could definitely feel the low notes a lot more.

I haven't really played this way much though, because I didn't know if this would be causing any harm to my amp/speakers

8. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    Ive been practicing through an altec lansing 4.1 set i bought for $99 from amazon.com for months, and it workd pretty well. As long as you have a sub, it should be fine.

9. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Just would like to thank you all for your time.
    Very good replies...

I'am a little ceptical about spendig 100 € or more on this think. I currently use (to practice in my bedroom) a SansAmp BDDI into my all tube Laney guitar amp (12" speaker), and the sound is not that bad (low-low-low volumes, of course!!).

Do you think that the "subwoofer+satelites set" would be better than the "guitar amp + BDDI" set??

Once again... Thank you all!

10. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    :( :D ;)

11. I have the labtec 420 system and it sucks. the satellite speakers distort like a maddog when using a bass at anything over a whisper. when I use my active bass it gets real ugly.

I've had great results iwth the 2way's over the satellite/sub setup.

YMMV