Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried this GK 400RB/800RB upgrade?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by winston, Nov 14, 2005.

1. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    From the seller's description:
    The seller is not claiming to increase the power of the amplifier, only to replace certain components with a different "grade" of component. Many audio enthusiasts, and high-end gear makers, claim that "premium" components result in improved tone quality. There is a lot of information out there on the Internet, on the controversy over whether these claims are valid or not. Not to disparage the seller, but I am personally on the side of not believing "audiophile" claims in general.

One thing to note is that none of the seller's claims can be objectively verified, save for the improvement in noise figure. What is "slam" ?

Does the resulting amplifier carry UL approval?

If the 400RB is noisy, that problem could probably be fixed with a relatively minor modification. If it were my amp, I would leave the rest of it alone.

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm not expecting a power increase, but a qualitative change in the amp's sound. I know that caps do degrade over time, and this is a (nearly) 19 year old amp that I would like to keep in good working condition. It's funny, I've always wanted to be more of an electronics tinkerer (I can solder competently but know little about circuit design) and one of my dreams has been to replace some components in my trusty 400RB with high-grade stuff to see if there's a difference.

I've emailed the seller to ask for experience/qualifications and references from people who've had the mod done. I file taxes as a musician and need writeoffs for this year so I'm not too concerned about the cost.

4. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I can't get to ebay from work (city doesn't let us go there), so I can't see what the upgrade costs. But if this type of upgrade has always been something you wanted, I'd say go for it. A GK 400RB is a relatively easily and inexpensively replaced if it explodes.

of course... if it's not UL approved and it explodes and burns down your house or studio, insurance may not cover it and that would be a little problem.