anyone tried this

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toonman, Oct 5, 2005.

1. On a 4-string use two .080 "A" strings and two .040 "G" strings and tune the bass as regular tuning. I read that this is what claypool does on his piccolo bass. Just wondering if anyone has tried this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would never try it myself because I hate having the string tension so different from string to string. I like a little more consistency myself. But I guess that doesn't matter so much to les.
  3. No I haven't tried it, but I have to ask what benefit you hope to get from this? feel-wise, it'll be very odd, and the response I imagine would be terribly uneven.
  4. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    If you don't mind your E and D strings feeling and playing like rubber bands, go for it.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I wouldn't recommend it. I can't imagine any noticable advantage.
  6. didn't jerry only do that? but he also also tuned it EAEA and he did it in case one of the Es or As broke...
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think he did, but I'm sure they were much heavier gauges.
  8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've heard the Claypool rumor, but I've heard that he used them on his standard tuned basses.

I once had to replace my E string with an A tuned down for a week while I had strings on order. For slap, that 'E' sounded great. For some reason, downtuning produces a better tone for slap IMO.

For finger- or pick-style, it sucked though. Tone and feelwise.
  9. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Les used to do that, he fealt it made chords sound better. These days he uses regular 40 to 90 (last I heard) Carl Thompson sets.

~Paul :)