Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried to make their own recording software?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Macron69, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Macron69

Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    I'm taking this class at college where the course project is making a computer software. I would like to make mine music related, specificaly some sort of recorder/mini workstation where you could connect your bass(or guitar) to a PC and be able to record your instrument or jam with a cd or mp3.

This is a simple idea of what i want to do, maybe it will stay this simple at the end. So are there any programmers in this forum that have had any experience with this that can maybe help me or give some advice on how i can do this? any reply would be truly apreciated. I some ideas and double the doubts. :confused:

Thanks for the time!

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Heh, nice project.

It's gonna depend on what language you're writing in. Java, for example, has a sound API as part of the standard library, so you can deal with audio without *too* much bother.

But if you're doing it in something like C... well... heh.

Digital audio is a complex beast, you should be aware. So, whatever you do, I imagine you'll want to get hold of a sound library or API of some sort that will make the task a lot easier, by taking care of the gritty details. Like I said, Java has such an API as part of the standard library.

I've never tried what you're suggesting as such, but I've done some dabbling in the world of programming for digital audio.

If you're gonna start getting into processing such as EQ, it's gonna start getting very complex. I really don't know how EQ is done on digital audio - I can't imagine the algorithm that would do it. But it ain't easy.

It's worth giving a go - you could come up with something quite simple without too much brain ache, I would hope. It depends how far you're going to take it.

3. I have a lot of per-windows experience in programming once Windows 95 came out, programming just became too complicated for this old fart to tackle. What language are you using? I would emagine that Visual Basic would have some already pre-defined classes and library files. However, what you are trying to do might be a little too ambitious for a 1st project. jmho

4. Macron69

Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks for your replies!!!

I do recognize that it might be too much for a one semester project, i still can go for a more "humble" goal. I've yet to discuss this with my professor, that's when we could point out what could be done. Still , i'll keep researching the subject. I would still like to make something music related.

A for computer languages, I know Visual Basic and some C++. Never worked with JAVA, but i've seen code and it's pretty related to C, so i think i can get the hang of it. So moley, if you have some links or info on those sound libraries and API , feel free to share!

thnx again!!!

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ok, well if you're familiar enough with C++, giving Java a go might be good idea. Java is derived from C++. Have you done object-oriented programming? The thing about Java is that it's a (relatively) pure Object Oriented language. So it uses the OO paradigm rather than the structured paradigm that C and BASIC etc. use. If you can get your head round OO, you'll probably be ok.

I don't know if there are any sound libraries of the sort you need for VB. I suppose there probably are, quite possibly in the form of an ActiveX control. Have a look round www.programmersheaven.com - you might find something.

As for Java -here is the info on Java's sound API. You can download the Java Developer Kit (JDK) free from that site - java.sun.com. The JDK includes the compiler and the interpreter (called the Java Virtual Machine) and some other things.