1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone tried Xaviere Basses by GFS?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by .BumeStik., Jul 27, 2012.

1. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
  2. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
  3. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    Sweet! Thank You optikhog! :)

4. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

Jun 11, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    [​IMG]

Here's mine. They are superb - at par with MIM Fenders build wise, and match the Vintage Modified setup wise (IMO).

5. GFS' stuff is typically quite good. You get a few lemons every once in a while, but at those prices? Deal with it or exchange it.

--Silvie

6. Troph

Troph

Apr 14, 2011
    Kirkland, WA
    I frankly have always been skeptical of web commerce sites that don't allow user reviews.

Also, shipping is fairly steep, and you have to eat the cost both ways if you decide to return it within 10 days for a refund. Even if you get a good deal on return shipping, you're probably out $60 in shipping costs alone on a sub-$200 guitar (depending on where you live).

Some of their parts are great. I like their pickups. Even though they're definitely not of the same quality as the big names, they SOUND pretty close. (I like my texas blues stratocaster set, but one of them had a magnet wire so loose that with much pickup cover movement I'm sure it will snap off.)

Unfortunately some other parts are a joke. I ordered two "tortoise" P-Bass pickguard covers (one for a MIA standard P-bass and another for a MIM P-bass). Aside from being ugly (I wasn't expecting a work of art), they were so poorly cut that when installed you could see gaps into the routing cavities! I overlaid the replacement on top of the original Fender, and they weren't really even close. (So I went for real Fenders from Angela.com for about 3x the price, which fit perfectly and looked beautiful.)

I also ordered a pre-wired Strat pickguard from them (the slightly more expensive model, not the el-cheapo). The pots are fairly wretched, and are clearly not audio-taper like they should be. It more-or-less fit on my 2005 MIM strat body, although I had to re-drill two screw holes.

So basically you're gambling shipping and handling money on getting a high-quality item, since you have no opportunity to try before you buy.

7. That's where I was going. All the examples I've seen are decent though, ymmv I guess.

--Silvie

8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I know several have gotten Xavieres and had no issues. I wasn't so lucky.

My bass arrived with a high fret, that after closer inspection (after several failed attempts at fixing) was actually a pretty wicked hump at the end of the neck. Unfortunately I voided the warranty by working on it instead of returning, so until I get a chance to make a new neck for it, it's a wall hanging.

They're cheapies. Same as with Rondo, you get some good ones and some bad ones. Personally, for cheap basses, from now on I'll stick with Kurt and his return policy (haven't needed to return either of the SX's I've got).

GFS pickups aren't bad at all. I've used them on a couple different basses with good results. Save your money on their "deluxe" bridges. They're junk.

9. +1

10. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    I was asking about them because I have used GFS Pickups in some Guitars in the past and been, Super Impressed, Personally. My Dad ordered one of the Pre-Wired pick guards and installed it in a MIM Strat. It was Amazing also.
    I have Personally only had Good experience with the GFS electronics, so hearing some other opinions is good Stuff. :)