Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Try a Cort Elrick Josh Paul 5 String?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfab333, May 28, 2003.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I read the review in BP magazine. Looks kind of interesting for the price range. Anyone try one out yet? How's she play and sound? Where can you buy one?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes. Beautifully constructed, plays wonderfully, so-so B string.

They're very bright sounding, as the review in Bass Player. But, the tone control lets you easily dial out that brightness.

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Contact Adrian at Access. I know he just got one in on his site. I'm curious to hear about them as well.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    OK, Thanks. I guess I need to check in with Adrian.

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Gil- i got your email- but i will try to shed light here in case anyone else is intereted-
    i receivd 2 for the shop- one is already gone, the other one is being exchanged because there was a small scuff in the pickup pocket and i dont want to try to sell it tlike that- flaws happen in every brand, so i wont condemn it for that-
    These basses offer unprecedentd features in a budget Korean bass- for xample,, a bautiful matching peghead, 24 frets, an EBONY fingerboard, a maple TOP (full thickness, not a veneer) , active / passive option, three piece laminated maple neck
    ( reminds me of the F basses that ve this ) beautifully figured ash bodies, quiet preamp, very playable.. for $799, it's a steal..
    the tone is hi fi, yes, it can be bright- hen you crank the treble, you will get hiss.. but who needs that much trebl? we are playing bass here.. and the pre can easily dial out the trble.. i found that he bass with the eq set flat ,has a very usable tone. I would use that flat setting as a starting point for your sound. It is modern sounding - the slap sound is cutting, a la Musicman , for lack of a better decription, not a fendery slap tone, but tight and cutting- the fingersound is great.. All in all, it on't replae your Fbass, but i will make a hell of second bass for you, and for someone looking for their first bass- for the price, its pretty unbeatable. I like them lot- you can see pics of one on my site
    http://accessbass.com/joshpaul.html

[​IMG]

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    That price is a very good value given the quality, sound, and looks of this bass. Nice pic too. Thanks Adrian.

I don't know if I want a red one or a green one. I need to play a few more gigs to get the money together too. I'll contact you when I'm ready.

7. Do they come in a 4-string version as well?

8. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Yes I've seen a 4-string version on bass player magazine.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WOW.That bass is really nice looking. It looks like it has the Bart MK-1 p/u's in her. If she has the MK-1 pre-amp (like the Lakland SkyLine 55-01) the bass is gonna sound great!!!!

10. I played one at Bass NW and immediately thought about what I could do financially to afford one.

Overall, I was very impressed with it. It had a great feel and if you're familiar with the Chicago Elricks, it felt just like one of those. If I didn't know the price, I would have said it felt like a $1,300-$1,500 bass.

It had a couple minor chips on the end of the fingerboard, like some course filing had taken place, but heck! For around $800, where do I sign up?

Like Adrian said, it's a perfect backup bass or your first if you don't want to pay $2K just to get into a 5 string.

11. This might be an "apples vs. oranges" question, but does it play better or sound better than a Stringray 5? I imagine it must be more tonally flexible in terms of sound because of the two pickups and the active/passive option?

I love my Stringray 5, but it's a bit heavier than I'd like it to be, and Elricks, are known to be light instruments - supposedly, even these imports...

12. They aren't on Cort's website for some reason...
    Do they make a fretless model?

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    not yet, that i know of--

14. Now we're talking! Do they come in solid colours, like white, or am I just pushing it?

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Adrian - can you put some sound clips up on your website? Pretty please?
    :cool:

16. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I don't know. My guess is that it comes in green, red and natural just like the 5ver.

17. They sound kind of Music Manish, but more modern with a higher top end, and more flexibility in the midrange. They can be punchy but not as "in your face" punchy as a MM.

18. Transparent red, trans green, or natural.

19. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I missed it if anybody said, but can it be had fretless? I have always had a fetted and fretless bass at the same time. So far always a pair of fours. Now I'm thinking of getting a pair of fives. One fretted, one fretless. One will be a Skyline 55-02. The other currently looks like either one of these, or an MTD Heir.

Just opinions, which should be the fretless?