Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Try a Karlson Coupler Cabinet???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkengrooven, May 6, 2005.

1. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

Check out the Karlson coupler.
    These were used in Quad form by Maryland Sound in the seventies.
    I think they sound real good, distinctive, accurate.
    The HiFi guys complain that they have funny resonances but those resonances are what makes the cabinet's personality.
    One of these will be my nexy DIY project, unless someone has a construction kit leftover from 1973...

2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The Karlson design was popular on the west coast for a few
    minutes during the mid 80's. The problem was that you could
    hardly hear it on stage, but it would be killing people in the
    back of the room. It was even worse trying to biamp it with
    speaker on top. Efficiant design for long throw, but not too
    practical for stage use. imho

3. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    Didn't Stanley Clarke use to play with these?

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Karlson enclosures have been around since the late 50s. I heard a bass player who played with some one hit Twist group play through 2 of them at a concert in the 60s, I think the Duvals or something like that.

I don't know what amp he used to drive them but it sounded good and you could hear it well in a 1500 capacity hall. Of course, the rest of the band wasn't micd, only vocals through the PA.

I'd like to hear one again.

5. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I've got a pair out in the garage. Beautiful Phillipine Mahogany cabinets. I've got a couple old coax speakers to try out in them for fun. It's just starting to warm up here, so maybe I'll get out there and get them going. I'll probably give them to friend. I'm running out of room for this stuff.

There is a small but rabid DIY community into these things. I can't recall the URL, but go to www.audioasylum.com & ping freddyi in the High Efficiency Speaker section, or just do a search in that section for Karlson.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The Karlson does have a cult following. From a technical standpoint it's simply a dual chamber series tuned reflex, albeit one with a very funky looking port on the front chamber. Like all dual chamber boxes it is a bandpass design, which accentuates the lows at the expense of the highs. It never found favor in the hi-fi realm because its inventor made such outrageous claims for it's frequency response- like flat from DC to 25kHz- that they couldn't take it seriously. It didn't make a bad bass cab, but failed to succeed in the marketplace because the design didn't stuff the maximum number of drivers into the smallest possible space, making it seem underpowered in comparison to other boxes of the same size.