Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone try a Mesa 400+ with the 1-12 or 212 Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big String, May 2, 2002.

1. I definatley got the amp thing dialed in. I'm using the Mesa 400+ (have two) but want to experiment with the 12" speaker cabs out there. So, I want to speed up my quest by asking if anyone has tried any of the newer 12 loaded cabs out there with my amp of choice. (400+) I know I have seen a few posts but I want a specific thread on this question. My choices are open. All 1x12 or 2x12. Acually, I did try a Epiphani 2x12 last year and it was too high fi for me, but very nice. I play Laklands with nickel strings and mostly finger style blues and RB in a horn band. Mostly four string too. Right now I'm using Mesa cabs. Usually just a 15 EV with PA support. It's sound very good, but.....GAS attack. Somtimes I use the Mesa 2x10 on top. Also have additional Mesa 15 EV and Eden 210xlt. Time to sell some stuff...? It's good to be middle aged :D

2. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    If you have a Road Ready 15 you want to get rid of, let me know!

3. Sorry, mine are both Diesl. I think they sound the same. Road Ready is way heavier.

4. Road ready also sounds tens times better than the diesel stuff; I have owned both.
    The 400+ is a stellar rig that will no doubt sound great with whatever you pair it too. That said, My Mesa M2000 never sounded good with those old Eden D212XLT's I had. The M-2000 sounded great with my RR2x10+RR1x15 EV loaded cabs. 12's and 15's together have never sounded good to me. I now use two EB-MM HD212's that re sounding fairly good...moral? Try to stick to matching manufacturers cabs when ever possible. I think Mesa is definitely guilty of this trait; they don't always sound good with anything other than Mesa stuff. Subjective of course....

5. Thanks MadSW, I always pay attention to your post fellow Boogie Dude. Your right, the 400+ sounds great no matter what I've plugged it into. I have not A/B the diesel and RR cabs though. Ten times better is quite a difference, I'll have to try it sometime. I don't know anybody that carriers the RR stuff with EV's anymore. Probably have to find used.....:confused:

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Ten times is an exaggeration but the RR cabs definitely sound better than the diesels (fatter, deeper, stronger) due to the cab design and materials used. The EV's in the older ones are simply great, too. I currently own RR's: 2x10, 2x15, 1x18 and 4x10. If you have even mild back problems, however, you can pretty much forget lugging these beasts to gigs; they're crazy heavy. Powered by a 400+, they really do rule, of course, in just about any combo. I personally like the 18 with the 2x10's on top for a killer full-range stack.

Getting back to your original question, I've run the 400+ with my Epifani T212 and the sound is absolutely great. That cab is, in many ways, the best I've ever owned. I prefer the EA iamp600 with it for better clarity but the 400+ sounds like its usual fat, toneful self through the Epi. The 12's are punchy and full-range and, as a lot of players have learned recently, sort of the best of both worlds (i.e. 10's and 15's). I like the fact that I can load one relatively small cab and fill just about any room with full-range bass!

7. Just discovered this older thread, but my 400 and 400+ (I know, I know. Can't decide which to let go) both sound great through one or two Aggie GS 112s.

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I tried these 12s for awhile. The SWR Bass Monitor 12s have
    fairly strong mids, but they're kinda skimpy on the low end.

[​IMG]